Panzer III s in Western Desert

Started by Heedless Horseman, 05 May 2019, 01:38:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heedless Horseman

Having noticed that the German Army Pack includes 2 x PzIII Ausf E...as far as I know, there were NO 37mm armed PzIII shipped to N Africa. 50mm short or long...or later 75mm, only. Any E variants would have been have been up-gunned vehicles. Could be wrong, but...?
Maybe replace with 1 x PzIV or 2 x PzII and an ATG? I haven't looked at the Rule Set, so don't know how that would affect things.
Just poking my nose in...enjoy your gaming anyway...I would like there to have been 37mm gunned vehicles...and, I think, 8th Army would have too!  ;)
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

There could have been E's, but they would have been command wagons.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Dr Dave

Jentz goes into it in some detail. He presents that there are no 37mm armed PzIIIS In the 15th or 21st Pz Divs. he does explore the distribution of IIIs across the two formations upon their arrival in Libya and presents the evidence for the up armoured IIIs being concentrated in 15th. In short, no Es - unless converted to command types with the gun removed. Also, there are simply no photographs of them.

However, for some reason they have always been, and remain, in the bkc lists. It does make a difference in the game. The 50mm L42 is a better gun.

sultanbev

The reason the 37mm armed Panzer III keeps re-appearing in desert lists generally is because of the PSL book by Bruce Quarrie, Panzers in the Desert,  where several photo captions state the tanks pictured are 37mm armed Panzer IIIE tanks.

Mark