Somua S35 Tanks in German Service 1944

Started by Cross698, 03 May 2019, 10:49:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cross698

In the French list 1940 the S35 is a restricted arc and that part of the reasoning was to simulate lack of radios and the lack of crew to operating the MGs and Gun. Those that were captured by the Germans and the limited numbers in 21st Panzer Division on DDay, would people maintain the "restricted" arc or go for 180. I'm only doing two models as I have info that 5th, 6th and 7th companies of 22nd Regt had a mix of them with Panzer IVs. Thoughts?

Steve J

I believe the Germans added new cupolas on their Beutepanzers, this improving visibility. Despite this I'd keep the restricted arc for the reasons you mentioned.

Cross698

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

There is some doubt about combat use of the S35's on D-Day. They were in II Btn of 22nd Pnz Rgt which had 23, but there were 98 Pnz IV available, which would give two reasonable sized btns. Latest thought is that the S35's  were just used for training, like the 5 H35/9's on strength.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Cross698

21st had a new batch of Pz IVs in late May, but not enough for the full compliment, so my thoughts are that if they were in working order then they would have been thrown in! DDay Museum, Portsmouth UK that the loader for Sgt Thornton at Pegasus who hit an armoured tank near benouville was a French Somua Tank. I'm only fielding 2 or 3 anyway, so think I can get away with it.  ;)   

Steve J

I think one of the big attractions of the 21st Pz Div is the ability to field Beutepanzers. I have plans to and have the models, so why not :D.

Cross698

Cuachiqueh

Hi All,

I'm a bit late to this thread, but I've been looking into the use of captured French tanks in Normandy. Zetterling (Normandy 1944) has Panzer-Abteilung 206 operating in the Cherbourg peninsula with 28 H38/H39, 10 S35, 6 B2 and 2 R35.

Jentz (Panzer Tracts 19-1: Beute-Panzerkampfwagen) also lists Panzer-Abteilung 206, albeit with a slightly different composition: 16 Hotchkiss, 10 Somua and 5 B2 operational as of June 1, 1944.

Jentz also has Panzer-Abteilung 205 with 21 Hotchkiss, 17 Somua and 5 B2 on August 1, 1944. He states that the unit "was sent in against the flank of the Allied breakout from Normandy and lost most of their Beute-Panzer in the retreat to Paris."

Additionally, Jentz has a brief mention of Panzer-Sicherungs-Kompanie./Sich. Rgt. 1010, which "was created on 29Oct43. On 20Aug44, AOK1 in Ob. West reported that Sich.Rgt 1010 with 17 Somua-Panzer had been sent into action." From what I've gleaned from online sources, it looks like the unit was operating south of Paris.

So you don't need to be tied to the 21st Panzer division to field S35s on the table.

Jim

Risaldar Singh

I'd say restricted arc is mostly linked to the single-man turret and overworked tank commander, factors which didn't change in the German versions.

Big Insect

That is correct -  single-man turret and overworked tank commander - are the defining features for restricted arc, in this instance.

cheers
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.