Rules for big air games

Started by fsn, 30 April 2019, 07:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

Good morning Gentlemen.

I'm struggling with rules for WWII in the air. I'm trying to do a bigger game wings vs wings (i.e. multiple squadrons) rather flights vs flights. Although I do have both US and RAF bomber streams, I'm thinking more of Pacific Carrier actions and Battle of Britain.

I'm also looking to avoid huge amounts of book keeping. Here, the Lego bases help, as I can easily add bricks for height, speed and changes of speed. However, it's all a bit clunky.

Can anyone recommend a rule set that covers this sort of game?

Thank you in advance for your erudite and informed responses.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

steve_holmes_11

I've never come across a set of "dogfight" rules that I found satisfactory.
That is to say, the things I feel are central to small scale air actions don't feature in this sort of game.

Bigger scale may provide an answer.
I know of several Battle of Britain sized games where the players are essentially pushing elements round an ops chart.
Never played one, but I imagine resolution might follow the style of those old Avalon hill games with force ratios, a die and a results table.

I think carrier actions might provide an excellent game, but have never seen a set that focuses on the air operations.
Carrier operations were pretty complex with all sorts of consideration for elevator, takeoff and landing capacity, while re-arming, refueling and maintaining a defensive combat air patrol.
Something that captured these would be quite a challenge.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fsn

Thanks, Chaps.

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 30 April 2019, 09:12:50 AM
I think carrier actions might provide an excellent game, but have never seen a set that focuses on the air operations.
Carrier operations were pretty complex with all sorts of consideration for elevator, takeoff and landing capacity, while re-arming, refueling and maintaining a defensive combat air patrol.
Something that captured these would be quite a challenge.
As you say. I was hoping to get the feel of the actual air combat before completely going off the edge with the carrier itself. You CAP is burning fuel whilst the admiral decides to change to AP bombs ... that sort of thing.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

toxicpixie

You could try Blood Red Skies from Warlord. It's not intricately detailed but you can fly a six on six fight in about forty minutes, with a real feel of a dog fight going on, and where pilot quality is really important!

It's in 1/200th woth special bases to show advantaged/disadvantaged planes (they tilt) but that's easily adaptable for existing aircraft models...
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting