Additional charge for orders less than £20 at Irregular

Started by Orcs, 30 April 2019, 12:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orcs

Just been nosing for some odds and ends on the Irregular Miniatures website, and came across the following note at the top of the page:-

"All Prices include UK postage, if ordering from outside the UK additional postage will be added at the checkout page. (This will be called "tax". There is an additional £2.00 charge for orders under £20.00)."

Interesting marketing scheme.

Shows how pampered we are by Pendraken
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Leman

It does only apply to the people Ian would refer to as 'those foreign blighters.'
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

mmcv

The additional £2 under £20 applies to everyone, including in the UK I believe. I'm just after ordering from them last week.

Leman

Definitely not clear in the quoted statement from Irregular.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Raider4

Agreed, it's ambiguous. But it's definitely an extra £2.00 charge for orders under £20.

Quote from: Orcs on 30 April 2019, 12:01:08 PM
Shows how pampered we are by Pendraken

Ehh? Pendraken have a minimum postage charge of £2.50 - it may be worded differently but the outcome is the same.

Westmarcher

Their statement says prices include UK postage unless the order is under £20 (in which case, there is an additional charge of £2). So, on that basis, a £19 order will cost you £21 but a £20 order will only cost you ..... £20.

Pendraken's prices do not include postage and, instead, UK postage is charged 5% of the order in addition (with a minimum charge of £2.50 and a maximum of £5.00). A £19 order with Pendraken will therefore cost you £21.50.

Either way, you're still 'paying' for UK postage.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Raider4

Quote from: Westmarcher on 30 April 2019, 01:44:19 PM
Their statement says prices include UK postage unless the order is under £20 (in which case, there is an additional charge of £2).

? That's not how I read it.

"Prices include UK postage."
"There is an extra £2 charge for orders under £20."

A £22 order at Irregular will cost you £22. At Pendraken it will be £24.50. (Not complaining about this at all, mind)

Just don't understand why Orcs thinks we're being spoilt?

Westmarcher

Quote from: Raider4 on 30 April 2019, 01:47:59 PM
? That's not how I read it.

"Prices include UK postage."
"There is an extra £2 charge for orders under £20."

A £22 order at Irregular will cost you £22. At Pendraken it will be £24.50. (Not complaining about this at all, mind)

Just don't understand why Orcs thinks we're being spoilt?

Isn't that what I said? (only difference is I said "additional" and you said "extra" - means the same).

Agree. Orcs has misunderstood.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Raider4

Quote from: Westmarcher on 30 April 2019, 02:10:04 PM
Isn't that what I said? (only difference is I said "additional" and you said "extra" - means the same).

Yeah, pretty much. I just confused when you wrote "prices include UK postage unless the order is under £20", which suggest UK postage is not included under £20?

Irregular prices always include UK postage, the £2 charge is on top-of, not instead-of.

FierceKitty

Have you compared Irregular's prices? And their orders tend to be a bit short of what you've paid for.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Nick the Lemming

Quote from: FierceKitty on 30 April 2019, 03:03:20 PM
Have you compared Irregular's prices? And their orders tend to be a bit short of what you've paid for.

And equally importantly, compare the quality. I'd rather have 20 quid's worth of Pendraken than 50 of Irregular.

Raider4

Have you compared Irregular's prices?

Well, that's a different kettle of fish entirely.

And their orders tend to be a bit short of what you've paid for.

Never had that problem.

Quote from: Nick the Lemming on 30 April 2019, 03:05:54 PM
And equally importantly, compare the quality. I'd rather have 20 quid's worth of Pendraken than 50 of Irregular.

But Pendraken don't do 6mm Medievals, so for me there's nothing to compare

FierceKitty

30 April 2019, 03:08:52 PM #12 Last Edit: 30 April 2019, 03:36:12 PM by FierceKitty
It happened with my last three orders with them. And was part of the reason why those were the last three orders.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Nick the Lemming

Quote from: Raider4 on 30 April 2019, 03:07:30 PM
But Pendraken don't do 6mm Medievals, so for me there's nothing to compare

Others do though. Baccus 6mm medievals are very nice. Plus you can tell what they are, unlike Irregular's.

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!