Camels ...

Started by Big Insect, 28 April 2019, 11:51:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Insect

Somebody (maybe Dr Dave?) raised the questions about Camel mtd troops in BKCIV.

I've done a bit of digging and ... the SDF or Sudanese Defence Force that fought the Italians, appear to have had camels. Used for mounted Infantry.

I expect I will find other military uses (other than baggage) when I start looking at Iraq and Syria no doubt.

I will have a think about an SDF list as well

Cheers

Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Mark - work faster   ;)
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

sultanbev

Camels in WW2 were also used by:
Saudi Arabian army
Jordanian army
Egyptian army
Mongolian army

Mark

lowlylowlycook

Well, Gideon Force would require a large number of camel casualty figs.

Quote from: sultanbev on 28 April 2019, 04:04:37 PM
Camels in WW2 were also used by:
Saudi Arabian army
Jordanian army
Egyptian army
Mongolian army

Mark

Jordanian Army - think you mean the Arab Legion here, and they were motorised mostly.

Big Insect

Excellent stuff folks ... we should have a go at a few additional lists here.

I like the Thai v French S.E.Asian conflict as a 'new' interest ... those (controversial) Vickers light amphibious tanks make another cameo appearance  ;D ;D ;D

Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Mark - if you look hard enough you will find the Mongolian army, it's slightly bigger than the Luxembourg one, but don't think it has a band !

Orcs

Didn't the French army smoke camels by the thousands in WW1 and WW2?

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Quote from: Orcs on 29 April 2019, 09:47:48 AM
Didn't the French army smoke camels by the thousands in WW1 and WW2?

Galois !!!

sultanbev

Quote from: ianrs54 on 29 April 2019, 09:32:54 AM
Mark - if you look hard enough you will find the Mongolian army, it's slightly bigger than the Luxembourg one, but don't think it has a band !

8 Cavalry Divisions, 2 armoured groups and 1 armoured brigade in 1941 alone, not to be sniffed at. To be fair the camels were in the supply units, but the Germans noted they shot some up during early WW2. It is also thought several units fought the Japanese in 1939, and many certainly did in 1945.

Mark

Orcs

Quote from: sultanbev on 29 April 2019, 09:59:50 AM
. It is also thought several units fought the Japanese in 1939, and many certainly did in 1945.

Mark

This gave me a mental image of Camels with Rifles and SMG's - yes my brain is strange and my thought process weird, but no more than most on this forum.  :)
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Big Insect

I think we probably need a Colonial set for you Orc ... camels with jingals on them for the Persians  :d