Painting 10mm Western Desert

Started by Imspartacus, 24 April 2019, 05:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowlylowlycook

Luke at Lukes Aps on youtube uses grout instead of sand because it's finer.  Seem like it would be an idea worth trying for basing 10mm figs.

Terry37

26 April 2019, 06:33:58 PM #16 Last Edit: 26 April 2019, 06:36:06 PM by Terry37
Oh, I have to agree with FSN - the French army of the 1940 period is just too, too colorful to not do! Especially if you do some of their vehicles in the gaudy 1937 color schemes that were still around in 1940. yes, that is mauve and sky blue you're seeing in these pics.

However, if your interest is the North African campaign then I highly recommend two works by Mike Starmer, "The Caunter Scheme" and "Alamein and After 1942-43". Both are excellent and will give you everything you need for The British in North Africa.

http://www.matadormodels.co.uk/tank_museum/xcamo_starmer.htm

And NO, do not use light blue as that is incorrect. The actual color was called "Silver Grey" and was a definite pale green tint toward the gray tone.

Good luck and have fun!

Terry

"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Sunray

Quote from: Orcs on 24 April 2019, 10:35:10 PM
Welcome IamSpartacus to the forum.

Western desert colours.

Using the paints below I did the following

These paints are from the Flames of war North Africa set - Leon Does them cheaper - codes should be correct. 

Black Grey (862) - Early Afrikakorps vehicles & painted metal
Buff (976) -  Dust, highlight colour
Dark Sand (847) -  8th Army vehicles & painted metal
Desert Yellow (977)- Italian uniforms
Green Brown (879) -  Afrikakorps vehicles '42
Green Ochre (914) -  Italian vehicles, Bersaglieri helmets
Iraqi Sand (819)    Afrikakorps vehicles '43, dust & British uniforms
Khaki (988)  British uniform base colour (they faded to Iraqi sand)
Olive Grey (888)  Italian Puttees, Italian uniform & tanks in Scily & Italy
Stone Grey (884)  British webbing, Afrikakorps webbing and canvas hoods of vehicles.
Tan Yellow (912)  Afrikakorps vehicles '42 late
Yellow Green (881)  Afrikakorps uniform, Italian webbing

Two things impress me;

1. The comprehensive and well researched nature of this post by Orcs .   Well done.  :-bd    It is Forum help at its best.

2. "Leon does them cheaper "   :)

I don't see them on the site.  Can I just order the codes I want Leon- and you send me a paypal invoice ?

Steve J

Apparently tanks in the cavalry units were in the brighter, 3 tone schemes, whereas in the infantry units they were a more drab green and brown. I know which scheme I'd go for :D.

Leon

Quote from: Orcs on 24 April 2019, 10:35:10 PM
These paints are from the Flames of war North Africa set - Leon Does them cheaper - codes should be correct. Its a fairly comprehensive list

Black Grey (862) - Early Afrikakorps vehicles & painted metal
Buff (976) -  Dust, highlight colour
Dark Sand (847) -  8th Army vehicles & painted metal
Desert Yellow (977)- Italian uniforms
Green Brown (879) -  Afrikakorps vehicles '42
Green Ochre (914) -  Italian vehicles, Bersaglieri helmets
Iraqi Sand (819)    Afrikakorps vehicles '43, dust & British uniforms
Khaki (988)  British uniform base colour (they faded to Iraqi sand)
Olive Grey (888)  Italian Puttees, Italian uniform & tanks in Scily & Italy
Stone Grey (884)  British webbing, Afrikakorps webbing and canvas hoods of vehicles.
Tan Yellow (912)  Afrikakorps vehicles '42 late
Yellow Green (881)  Afrikakorps uniform, Italian webbing

Quote from: Sunray on 27 April 2019, 01:15:10 PM
I don't see them on the site.  Can I just order the codes I want Leon- and you send me a paypal invoice ?

These are all Vallejo model Color codes and are on the site here: https://pendraken.co.uk/vallejo-paints/model-colour/acrylics/  I can take this list and just pop you an invoice if that's easier?
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Sunray

An excellent example of Leon pampers us with 24/7 service. 

I will have a plunder and see what I already have/badly need and get you an order in for Monday morning.

Thanks Leon.

Sunray

Quote from: Sunray on 27 April 2019, 07:17:47 PM
An excellent example of Leon pampers us with 24/7 service. 

I will have a plunder and see what I already have/badly need and get you an order in for Monday morning.

Thanks Leon.

Done and dusted .  Pendraken never sleeps ?  :)

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

No - it sits at home playing an X-box, naked !!
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Orcs

Quote from: ianrs54 on 29 April 2019, 08:09:13 AM
No - it sits at home playing an X-box, naked !!

I would rather that you didn't put that picture in my mind  :-&
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson