MiniHammer 40K (Warhammer 40K In 10mm) Imperial Guard, Space Marines etc.

Started by Paul.B, 27 April 2019, 05:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul.B

Hi folks,

Following on from my MiniHammer thread - classic Warhamer Fantasy in 10mm (with centimeter measurements for games instead of inches) - I've embarked on a parallel project doing the same trick with Warhammer 40K.

I started off scratch building a couple of Space Marines from plasticard rod pieces and sculpting some greenstuff for the helmet and shoulder pads. I used a Pendraken human to get the scale right.

Since completing two Space Wolves marines (which I will continue to expand upon), I've picked up some stuff for Imperial Guard. For these guys I wanted something somewhere between the canonical 40K Vostroyans - which are styled after Cossacks - and a mixture of British Guards and Napoleonic Chasseurs a Pied.

In short, greatcoats topped with a fur hat or bearskin.

I've used Pendraken's WW1 Germans in greatcoats (the Picklehaube wearing models) which I've sculpted fur hats onto. You can also see there's one chap I've turned his weapon into a Plasma gun:

For the Heavy Bolter fire support squad (basically HMGs), I've used Finnish WW2 machine gun teams with sculpted fur hats.

This Leman Russ tank is a WW1 British MKIV with a scratch built turret, it is held on with a magnet to allow rotation, and the gun can be swapped out.

Apologies to those not familiar with the setting!

Hope you enjoy.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

toxicpixie

I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Techno

Really Excellent !!  :-bd  =D> :-bd

Look easily good enough to be produced commercially !
(Except, of course, a certain firm might throw a bit of a wobbly, and mutter things about copyright !) ;)

You must have done this sort of thing before, Paul ?

Cheers - Phil

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Paul.B

Thanks all for the kind words :D

Quote from: Techno on 28 April 2019, 07:40:05 AM
Really Excellent !!  :-bd  =D> :-bd

Look easily good enough to be produced commercially !
(Except, of course, a certain firm might throw a bit of a wobbly, and mutter things about copyright !) ;)

You must have done this sort of thing before, Paul ?

Cheers - Phil

Thanks Phil. Well I've done a bit of sculpting and converting at 28mm scale before but not at 10mm, but I am finding it quite enjoyable. The marines are fun to make from plasticard shapes :D.

Yeah I think GeeDubs would have a thing or two to say about commercial production, sadly, although with that said I'm aware of some firms who produce 6mm scale stuff that's quite blatantly "inspired" by GW's IP with apparently no hassle, so perhaps they don't care about smaller scales?

I was going to make them less official looking and more "counts-as" originally, but when it came to it I figured as I'm only making them for my personal use might as well make them proper Space Marines. Considering doing some Chaos ones too.

Kassad

2011 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Paul.B

Thanks Kassad!

The first infantry squad is now fully complete, including the Vox trooper and a sergeant. I made a little boltgun for him and replaced the sabre blade with a chunkier one painted to look like a chainsword.

I've also finished up a support squad of autocannons:

A lot more infantry to do (5 more squads) plus a squadron of Rough Rider cavalry.

toxicpixie

I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

petercooman

Coincidently, i have just discovered the "grimdark future" free rules set. Looks pretty fun, and is a more simple and approachable version of 40K (and should play faster)

https://onepagerules.com/portfolio/grimdark-future/

I'll be trying the kill team variant in about an hour!

https://onepagerules.com/portfolio/grimdark-future-firefight/

Might interest you!

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!