BKCIV - a review

Started by Steve J, 26 April 2019, 11:29:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve J

I've posted my thoughts on BKCIV, set within the context of my gaming with the BKC family of rules. I hope it is a useful read to some:

https://wwiiwargaming.blogspot.com/2019/04/blitzkreig-commander-iv-review.html

Dr Dave

Very fair and pretty accurate. I did like the "We are certainly not talking 'Cruel Seas' level here"  ;D

Steve J

Thanks Dr D :). How 'Cruel Seas' got the state it's in beggars belief, 10 pages of errata :o.

Norm

Steve, thanks for your observations. I had already intended to get the rules, mainly to support Pendraken in their approach to getting these right, despite obvious costs to them and I like the idea of EVERYTHING being in a SINGLE book ..... but your last two posts have encouraged me to get them now, rather than at the next wargame show. Thank You.

Steve J

Big Insect

Many thanks Steve - a most fair report - I appreciate it and your support here in the forum.

As some of you will know, myself and the Berkeley Vale Wargames Club took on the project to play-test BKCIII and take what we could through to BKCIV.

Whilst Leon has kindly credited me as the main author, I was not alone in this endeavor as not only did the Berkeley tribe "beat the living daylights" out of BKCIII over many months of play-tests but they and many others helped with proof reading and came up with all manner of suggestions - not all of which were adopted - but all were well received and debated.

As I said to Leon only a day or 2 ago, I was proud to be able to help as I have really enjoyed all 3 of the Commander Rules as a player for many years. I almost felt it was a 'duty' to get the rules back on an even-keel going forwards.

There are more updated versions of existing rules planned -  I'll leave Leon to put that out to his loyal customers.
However, there are also new rules (new periods) and additional supplements and even additional army lists planned - even for BKC. So watch this space  :D

Many thanks

Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Steve J

Well it was good of you to take on the mantle to pull everything together but, as you say, you couldn't have done it without the support of those you've mentioned. So a great team effort all round IMHO.

Dave Fielder

And the bottom line is that the Condor Legion armour are very good at right flank manoeuvres against cavalry in the Spanish Civil War, whether that is in BKC2 or BKC4 ;-)
Romeo and Juliet is a Verona Crisis