Brush undercoating with Gesso

Started by count_zero99uk, 15 December 2010, 01:45:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

count_zero99uk

For medical reasons im not a fan of spray undercoat and have been trying to find a good cheap solution.  Some people have suggested Gesso, the stuff arteests prime there canvas with.  It seems to look ok on 28mm and i was wondering if anyone had tried it on 10mm.

Thanks.

zaapark

Works ok.  I have been using gray Gesso on some WW1 late war brits, time consuming but does a decent job.
chris

Derek H

Quote from: count_zero99uk on 15 December 2010, 01:45:50 AM
For medical reasons im not a fan of spray undercoat and have been trying to find a good cheap solution.  Some people have suggested Gesso, the stuff arteests prime there canvas with.  It seems to look ok on 28mm and i was wondering if anyone had tried it on 10mm.

I've used the black stuff on 10mm and it works fine.

NTM

Considering the switch to gesso myself, currently use quick drying metal primer but as I now use a lot of resin and plastic items which that does not work so well on (if at all) need an alternative. Bit of a shame as my 1ltr tin has lasted about 5 years so far with a lot more left.

Shedman

I've been using black gesso to undercoat 6, 10 and 15mm figures for a while now.

It really brings the detail out on the figures

It rarely "pools" - at worst I've had a thin film form between legs when I've put too much on

I do have some complaints however

One coat is often not enough - sometime a second coat is required - and I usually have to go over the figures dabbing where I missed holes

Also it flicks everywhere and it seems to rub off at the slightest touch

I think however that my complaints maybe down to me being too quick, clumsy and usually slightly drunk when I undercoat figures as it is very often the last thing I do in an evening's painting session

Therefore I would recommend gesso but I wouldn't recommend me undercoating figures

Alan

count_zero99uk

Cool, thanks for the information everyone.  Looks like ill be grabbing myself some in the new year.

Can any UK people let me know what your paying for how much so i dont pay over the odds.

Thanks
Brian.

Shedman

I'm currently using Bob Ross gesso which I bought at Hobby Craft for about £8-9

At my local art shop in Stroud they are selling Windsor & Newton black gesso for £8.20 - I'll be trying this out next

Alan

goat major

humbrol matt black enamel for me - thinned down with white spirit. Gives good coverage but it does need to be thinned down otherwise it would be too thick for the underlying detail
My blog: https://goatmajor.org.uk/
My twitting: http://twitter.com/goatmajor

2014 Painting Competition - Winner!

count_zero99uk

Well ive just undercoated 6 fantasy 10mm figs, they look a little obscured  :o but im told it contracts as it dries :-\ so ill wait till tommorow before upping pics of the undercoated figs.

Its fast to go on, and surprisingly adhering (i know thats spelt wrong you know what i mean)

So now the wait.

Tata for now.

Shedman

I have just tried Daler-Rowney's Black Gesso Primer and I am not happy with the results - very shiny and has a "tooth" - not what I really want in an undercoat

To be honest I should have read all of the fine print on the tub - this stuff is good for building up layers and the "tooth" allows paint to grip extremely well

Therefore I might use it for terrain base coats but definitely not for figures

:(

Alan

GordonY

Tamiya XF1, matt black, my undercoat of choice, fast drying extremely black and usually only one coat required.

Gordon