Fish

Started by Big Insect, 24 April 2019, 08:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_Guy

It sounds interesting! Maybe I'll get into it just for the halibut.

Yes, the horse has already been flogged but I'll claim the time-difference waiver of which I still have three remaining for 2019.

Sleep with clean hands ...

Dr Dave

I might collect Prussians for Waterloo. But which commander... Pirch?  :'(

Techno

It just gets worse and worse ! X_X

Cheers - Homer S

Ithoriel

Got the rules, don't have an army, played a couple of games.

The games were fine but, as a group, for quick'n'easy we prefer HoTT and for all-afternoon/ all-evening we prefer Warmaster (the original, not the abomination that is Warmaster Revolution).

Different strokes ...
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Big Insect

What's wrong with Warmaster Revolution Ithoriel - not that I have played it or the original.

Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Ithoriel

I dislike the attempt to "historicalise" the rules.

For me, Fantasy is not historical armies with dragons, it's a whole different animal with a whole set of different underlying principles.

The sources are not Arrian, Anna Comnena or Aeneas Tacticus but rather Tolkein, Gemmel, Jordan, et al, or even (Insert favourite fantasy author here).

Cavalry are queens of the battlefield, grinding the grubby little ground pounders into the mud (except when the ground pounders are the heroes and have some cunning plan, possibly involving turnips, to turn the tables).

Archers have muscle-powered SMGs.

No author I've read seems to understand the difference between a javelin, spear or pike - a pointy stick is a pointy stick.

Likewise, none of them understand how skirmishers work and most don't seem to know they might exist.

I like the uncertainty created by the command system and the constant attempts to shield players from the consequences of their own actions frustrate me.

Other people like the new version, and more power to their elbows, but they are not for me.

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

steve_holmes_11

QuoteNo author I've read seems to understand the difference between a javelin, spear or pike - a pointy stick is a pointy stick.

Likewise, none of them understand how skirmishers work and most don't seem to know they might exist.

The same could be said for plenty of contemporary (ie Ancient) historians, playwrights and authors.

They all tend to follow a similar track.
* A pointy stick is a pointy stick, and I won't go into great detail about its length (How were the Hypaspists equipped?)
* Heavy infantry covers anything from a Spartan Warrior, Roman Legionary to a Gallic Infantryman.
* The only skirmishers worthy of note hail from Mediterranean islands, or ride horses.
* There's never much detail about how the opposition fights.

FierceKitty

May we add the idiocy of calling a halberd a pike? The noirest of betes noirs.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.