ITLSU - Tanga Day One 1914

Started by Martin1914, 23 April 2019, 08:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Steve J

What a stunning looking table 8)!!!

fred.

That is a really good looking table, all the parts blend together very nicely.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Leman

Great looking game, but unfortunately a set of rules I could just not get my head around.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Martin1914

(Photo13) In the hospital the Pioneers were ordered to engage 17thFK in the cutting (the British player was censured for ungentlemanly conduct!) starting an exchange of fire, which the Pioneers, getting used to their machine gun, began to get the upper-hand.
(Photo14) The Rajputs regained their breath and forced the German machine gun to retire through suppression, despite Adler's best efforts. They broke into the native quarter and the town sector around the railway workshops. From here they caught the machine gunners in the street and cut them down.

To be continued.
2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Martin1914

(Photo15) Fire from the hospital eventually inflicted enough suppression on 17thFK, that Adler had his hands full trying to stem their retreat back through three sectors of the European quarter. Fortunately, von Brandis was able to deploy 16thFK in the sector in front of them towards the enemy.
(Photo16) The Rajputs took firm control of the native quarter.

To be continued.
2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Martin1914

(Photo17) The fifth turn of the Blank Card provided unexpected reinforcements for Tighe. The 2nd Loyal North Lancashires (Jolly Good Fellows – SR0) appeared on the Hospital Road under a Blind. Tighe ordered them to advance on and commence to clear the town. They quickly crossed the railway and deployed, enabling a two-company attack on 16thFK, with two companies in reserve.
(Photo18) Surprisingly, von Brandis' askaris repulsed this assault after three rounds of 'close combat' with kills to both sides. This forced the two attacking companies to retire to the railway. This provided no respite, for the Lancashire's machine gun and the Rajputs immediately opened fire, inflicting an alarming level of suppression.

To be continued.
2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Martin1914

(Photo19) Tighe was anticipating success and was determined to be able to influence the action through the town. He moved his HQ from the cemetery hillock to the cutting and prepared his signallers to move further forward. Signaller Jones carrying all his wire and heavy paraphernalia in the stinking heat and the bees, wished he was somewhere else....like Egypt! The Pioneers were also ordered towards the town.
(Photo20) Receiving further fire, von Brandis was killed and what remained of 16thFK ran for it past the Boma, and would exit the battle area. This meant the remaining half of Adler's askaris were again the only German troops.

To be continued.
2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Martin1914

(Photo21) Knowing that any further reinforcements would require room to deploy within the town, Adler opted to move forward with his rallied company. A reserve company of Lancashires was pushed forward into 'close combat' to resume their battalion's attack.
(Photo22) Again the askaris proved adept in urban fighting and defeated this second assault despite the British superiority in numbers.

To be continued.
2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Martin1914

(Photo23) Tighe remained confident in his 'bite and hold' tactics and in order to provide as much fire support as possible, he ordered the Pioneers to occupy the Customs House and engage.
(Photo24) 17thFK fell victim to the volume of enemy fire and were wiped out. As the sole survivor, Adler retreated before the unstoppable British advance through the town.

To be continued.
2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Martin1914

(Photo25) As the Rajputs followed up and secured the railway station, Adler reported the loss of the town to Oberstleutnant von Lettow-Vorbeck (Prussian) who had arrived along the railway line with Abteilung Merensky, having moved down from the Kilimanjaro area by train.
(Photo26) Von Lettow-Vorbeck was most displeased! He was too late! (Having arrived on the tenth turn of the Blank Card, I forgot to put the German Blinds Card in the deck!) He believed the British now occupied Tanga in too much strength. Not wishing to throw away the lives of men in 6thFK and 6th Schutzenkompanie, he chose to withdraw to fight another day.

The End

Well that was a better result for the British wasn't it! They captured Tanga in 13 turns (6 hours of game time). Empire losses were 220 men (11 figs) and an MG, whilst the Germans lost nearly two complete FKs (17 figs) with an MG.

Lesson learnt: Don't assault town sectors, just use firepower.

Thank you for your comments. Much appreciated.

Leman – Yes, on first reading ITLSU may appear difficult or a different approach perhaps, but I persevered. I like TFL rules. Having been a purely Napoleonic and WW2 gamer, I never thought I would consider the Great War, but using ITLSU with Pendraken figures for the 'forgotten fronts' has become a firm favourite over the last two or three years.

Regards
Mart
2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

mmcv

Great game, thanks for sharing!

sunjester

A great write up and a utterly stunning set up! Well done Sir.  =D>

paulr

:-bd =D> :-bd =D> :-bd
Thanks for sharing a great game Mart

Quote from: Martin1914 on 24 April 2019, 10:17:54 PM
Leman – Yes, on first reading ITLSU may appear difficult or a different approach perhaps, but I persevered. I like TFL rules. Having been a purely Napoleonic and WW2 gamer, I never thought I would consider the Great War, but using ITLSU with Pendraken figures for the 'forgotten fronts' has become a firm favourite over the last two or three years.

We had a similar experience, ITLSU definitely are initially difficult and different but have made the Great War in France/Belgium 1914 and Palestine firm favourites
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!