Additions, Omissions, Errata etc - please post here

Started by Big Insect, 21 April 2019, 08:15:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Dave

Quote from: vladvondrak on 01 May 2019, 08:21:39 AM
Recce
[edit] Posted on 01 May 2019 at 07:54:50 GMT
This rule is inherent across the rules sets and has been copy pasted  to bkc4.
It states the score required to communicate will be 1 per full 10cm ie 1 upto 10cm, 2 up to 20 etc. Further on it states 1 is always a fail.
This doesn't make sence as you need a minimum or 2 for any distance up to 20cm.
Can anyone shed light on this. In the original concept from bkc1 days, if memory serves anything up to 10 cm was automatic.
Errata/ faq required.

IIRC, even in in BKC1, a roll of 1 on a d6 was always a fail.

Steve J

BKCII had quite a few changes from BKCI, but it's so long since I played the latter, so your example may have been superceded in BKCII. Hope this makes sense?

Cross698

Quote from: vladvondrak on 01 May 2019, 08:21:39 AM
Recce
[edit] Posted on 01 May 2019 at 07:54:50 GMT
This rule is inherent across the rules sets and has been copy pasted  to bkc4.
It states the score required to communicate will be 1 per full 10cm ie 1 upto 10cm, 2 up to 20 etc. Further on it states 1 is always a fail.
This doesn't make sence as you need a minimum or 2 for any distance up to 20cm.
Can anyone shed light on this. In the original concept from bkc1 days, if memory serves anything up to 10 cm was automatic.
Errata/ faq required.

BKCv2 a  - can RECCE up to 60 cm and a 1 was always a fail.

This is the same for Reconnoitre, but Communication is totally different in v4, still D6 but now has modifiers ;-
50 -60 cm add +2, 30 - 50 +1, 20 - 30 0, 0 - 20 -1, Higher ground -1, target is INF or Support Unit or Low profile -1

Spotted on Target in open 4+, Soft/Partial 5+ Hard cover 6 - and 1 is still a fail. Targets requiring a score of 7 or more cannot be spotted and this is for CV bonus.

Big Insect

In the Recce rules - a score of 1 to spot for communication (regardless of the distance involved) is always a fail.
There must be a possibility that the Recce might fail to communicate (radio failure, paper info lost on a desk, carrier pigeon eaten by hungry falcon etc.)

The additional factors come out of the Recce House Rules from CWC.

Many thanks

Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

vladvondrak

You are still missing the point . It contradicts itself, it say you need a 1 at 10cm to succeed, then states 1s are always fails. The whole thing is ambiguous.

Cross698

Quote from: vladvondrak on 02 May 2019, 06:38:00 AM
You are still missing the point . It contradicts itself, it say you need a 1 at 10cm to succeed, then states 1s are always fails. The whole thing is ambiguous.

I understand what you mean, but 1 is always a fail, but it should be shown as
10 to 20 cm 2
20 to 30 cm 3
etc
But I just think that in RECCE as in Engineering a "1" is always a fail.

Dr Dave

Quote from: Cross698 on 02 May 2019, 08:25:23 AM
I understand what you mean, but 1 is always a fail, but it should be shown as
10 to 20 cm 2
20 to 30 cm 3
etc
But I just think that in RECCE as in Engineering a "1" is always a fail.

No, shouldn't it be 0 - 20 cm 2 ? :P

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Nother niggle - the Grants in the British FE list are really Lee's - the British Army designated Lees as Grant MkIV.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fred.

Quote from: Dr Dave on 02 May 2019, 08:58:39 AM
No, shouldn't it be 0 - 20 cm 2 ? :P

The only time it matters is if there are modifiers, as a base of 1 with a -1 to the success (ie now needing a 2), still only fails on a roll of 1

Whereas if it is a base of 2 with a -1 modifier  you now fail on a 1 or 2

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Dr Dave

Crystal!

I'll be sticking to bkc2 recce - simpler, quicker and faster.  :P

We've always played the comms were to any command unit in the formation anyway.

fred.

Pill boxes and Trenches - points

Looking at these two Field Defences, I'm a bit confused by the points difference between the two.

Trenches are 5pts, give a 5+ save, protect 1 infantry unit
Pill boxes, are 25pts, give a 5+ save, protect 1 infantry unit, have a 90ยบ firing arc, and can only be attacked in this arc

It seems Trenches are much better value?

I do think this may well be a carry over from much earlier versions.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Solo General

Active vs. Inactive Player Question

BKC IV - Page 18 - Sequence of Play - Opening paragraph, 2nd sentence, states: "....current player being referred to as the Active Player and the opponent being the Inactive Player."
BKC IV - Page 18 - Sequence of Play - End Phase, 1st line: "Remove outstanding hits from all of the active player's units on the table."
BKC IV - Page 39 - Firing Example - 3rd paragraph from bottom, beginning with: "At the end of the turn, all outstanding hits are removed from play, so the two hits against the PZ-II are removed. It is still suppressed..."  In this case, the PZ II, hits are being removed from the Inactive Player's unit during the active player's End Phase.

The Firing Example was taken from BKC II and just about matches what is in BKC IV.

BKC II, Page 9 - Sequence of Play - End Phase, 1st line: "Remove outstanding hits from all units on the table."  It appears the wording was added in BKC IV with the words "of the active player."  Repeated on Page 36 BKC II "...remove outstanding hits..." and...Suppression markers from all units on the table..."

BKC IV - Page 56 - End Phase - 1st Paragraph, 2nd Sentence:  "Once the end phase is complete, your turn has ended and your opponent's turn will begin..."

Question: Do we leave both the hits and suppression markers on the Inactive Player's unit when the Active Player's End Phase ends as BKC IV directs?

One of our members spotted this and requested clarification. Thanks in advance for your answer.

T-Square

Yes, just remove hits and suppression markers from the active player's units only.

flamingpig0

Shouldn't there be an option for the Panzer iii oi have schurzen from 1943 ?
"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James