Additions, Omissions, Errata etc - please post here

Started by Big Insect, 21 April 2019, 08:15:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider4

Quote from: Dr Dave on 24 April 2019, 09:53:46 PM
Remove the 37mm armed PzIII from the German Africa lists.

To be fair, that one is in BKC I as well (dunno about II - can't find my copy atm).

Dr Dave

Yeah - it's always been in all the books, but they were never in Africa!  ;)

Raider4

Quote from: Dr Dave on 25 April 2019, 10:04:29 AM
Yeah - it's always been in all the books, but they were never in Africa!  ;)

Do the British Early War & Desert lists still have the Support Tank version of the A13, 'cos they were never built AFAICT? (Again, it's in BKC I - sorry, I don't have v.IV).

Dr Dave

Big Insect

'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Dr Dave

No fear. You'd have been in good company if you did include it - Pendraken still make one. They were designed, but never put into production.

Steve J

According to Chamberlain & Ellis on the A13 MkII (also known as Cruiser MkIV); "There was also a MkIV CS which had a 3.7" mortar in place of the 2pdr gun. Only a small proportion of vehicles were of this type." So they were produced. Hope this helps?

Dr Dave

Quote from: Steve J on 26 April 2019, 07:00:00 AM
There was also a MkIV CS which had a 3.7" mortar in place of the 2pdr gun. Only a small proportion of vehicles were of this type.

If any were built then they didn't make it to the units. In France and Africa A13 sqns have A10CS in the hq troop. Which makes moving the formation around the table a bit of a headache.  :(

Dr Dave

26 April 2019, 04:48:24 PM #38 Last Edit: 26 April 2019, 06:01:20 PM by Dr Dave
British list NWE:
- Sexton should be available all the way through NWE.
- Sexton should be accurate if the 25pdr is.
- Why is the Priest seemingly in 4 gun troops and not in an 8 gun battery like the Sexton
- Field arty cannot do CB fire? I'm pretty sure that arty / mortar location radar units were available at all levels in 45, perhaps earlier. I'll check. But anyway, sound ranging was.
- the lists do not make clear which batteries are "field" anyway.

Also, small point, Priest and Sexton are not aircraft!

The M13 AA half track, delete and replace with the M16 version as in the US lists.

Another small point : remove mention of M3 half tracks. They're all M5, M9 etc. never M3.

British Airborne can have 3 motor cycles as transport? That should be zero. They're very few and only used by couriers.

Big Insect

On a specific:

"Field arty cannot do CB fire? I'm pretty sure that arty / mortar location radar units were available at all levels in 45, perhaps earlier. I'll check. But anyway, sound ranging was."

That is because most Field Artillery are on-table, and there is a general rules 'rule' in Commander that nothing on-table shoots off-table (& before you sight air superiority attacks these happen off-table to off-table assets ahead of them coming on-table). Off-table artillery can conduct counter-battery on enemy off-table artillery.

But your on-table Field-Guns can counter-battery enemy guns on table (in the same way they can any other unit) - they can do so on a LoS basis or using the standard directed fire by a nearest visible unit basis (as per the specific rules for on-table artillery and mortars).

NB: I am trying not to get into radar - in BKC anyway.

Hope that helps?

All other errata gratefully received - even the flying Sextons and Priests - not really air-drop type units IMHO  :-[
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Dr Dave

Understood. I got confused since the gunners called all 25pdr regts "field".

No radar? Shame... you could go into frequency and resolution - actually, let's not.   :P

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

There was no counter mortar radar as such, but they did experiment with it using radars from LAA rgts.

One gun that does need adding is the Japanese 70mm Infantry gun. The Japanese are a problem anyway. There are two distinct types of division, Type A - operating in China with tankettes and medium artillery, and the ones in S.E Asia Type B, which dont have the tankettes or medium guns. (OK some did). Then you have the island garrisons, which are all different.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

sultanbev

The Counter-mortar Troops in British infantry divisions were standard on TOE by late 1944 in NW Europe. They were essential in counter-attacking mortars and Nebelwerfers. They were 4-Pen Recorder units stationed 800m behind the front lines, with an array of 4 microphone cables laid out in an arc in front of the front lines - ie, they were only suited for static situations. The microphones recorded seismic data from Nebelwerfer and mortar fire. The men observing the 4-Pen Rercorders had direct radio links to all teh divisional OPs and to Bttn HQs that also reported such fire - the troop then coordinated counter-battery fire by triangulating all these reports. By 1945 most such Troops were so experienced they could locate enemy positions within minutes.

The radars were something else again.

So British & Commonwealth 25pdr batteries in infantry divisions in NW Europe can do counter-battery fire against mortars and rocket launchers any time they are available.

Mark

Big Insect

many thanks Ian/Mark

We can put some notes into the Japanese list Ian - but TBF I have tried to avoid being to specific about what can fight where, unless it generates a really different list.
A separate Japanese Manchuria list PDF is a possibility as of course armoured trains made a big play in Manchuria as well.
I am also considering the following additional PDF lists:

ANZAC
Early War Lithuanian
French North African
South African in East Africa (Ethiopia and Sudan)
British Home Guard
Polish Warsaw Uprising

Other thoughts and suggestions gratefully received?

Cheers
Mark

Prophaniti

With the French North African list, please just make sure it covers Operation Exporter in Syria and the invasion on Madagascar too.  (If it isn't already)  I suspect that the list won't actually change as a result of including those theatres, but it would be a shame if they were missed.