Gordon may still have a chance.

Started by FierceKitty, 21 April 2019, 07:29:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

21 April 2019, 07:29:58 AM Last Edit: 21 April 2019, 07:32:25 AM by FierceKitty
The imperial relief and the Mahdist field army meet near Tel-i-Tubbi. Note the Sultan Mehlik, carrying a company of rough, tough, jolly sailor-men, reeking of rum, tar, and parrots, and rotten with pox and scurvy. Sir Percy MacHogg, leading the relief column, is ex-RN, and the tars have been upgraded as a result (the bogey table is sometimes friendly). The Khalif had a random roll of a powerful steadying voice to help him rally routers.

There are five Pendraken crocs on the sandbank, but they don't show up well. I may have to rethink that piece. Waterlines models too someday?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

FierceKitty

The Dervish host. Figures overwhelmingly Pendraken.

FierceKitty

Their finest hour. I underestimated the speed of the Faithfuls' advance, and a Naval Brigade gun was taken in flank by their horse; lucky rolls saved us, as the rough tough, jolly sailor men, reeking of rum, tar, and parrots, and rotten with pox and scurvy, heroically fought off the locals. The 54th Hampshires, to the left of the battery, formed line in time, and the Hadendowah foot never got off the ridge.

FierceKitty

It looks alarming, but the force to the rear of the Greys (they were in this campaign, but in detachments with the Camel Corps - gamer's licence) are not armed for melee. The charge was a decisive success. In the background, the 8th Cairo suffer the one serious Imperial reverse of the game, breaking after one round against the Ansar.

FierceKitty

21 April 2019, 07:45:08 AM #4 Last Edit: 21 April 2019, 07:50:58 AM by FierceKitty
The 33rd Sussex have already stopped the Sudanese riflemen; here they give a few shots to their camelry. To the rear, the 21st Lancers ride to the support of the embattled right.

FierceKitty

21 April 2019, 07:48:19 AM #5 Last Edit: 21 April 2019, 07:54:48 AM by FierceKitty
Not photographed, the main Mahdist attack in the centre fell foul of the 42nd Highlanders and the Naval Brigade foot (aka rough, tough, jolly sailor-men, reeking of rum, tar, and parrots, and rotten with pox and scurvy), with some useful support from the Gatlings. The Khalif himself perished bravely in the front line, and is doubtless sharing a coffee with the Archangel Gibreel even now.

I made few real blunders, but I was lucky to survive the one with the right; I could have been rolled up beyond recovery there if the outflanking force hadn't fluffed their combat rolls.

FierceKitty

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

hobbittomm

FierceKitty

We allow cadets to post here? Hmmph, in my day...where's my brandy, Jervis, damn you?...we remained reverently silent in the presence of officers, ladies, and the regimental cat. We didn't even allow the whippersnappers to touch a weapon until they'd captured four natives in personal combat....

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

How did we ever promote the regimental cat to General ?
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fsn

Well, if the Norwegian Royal Guard can promote a penguin to Brigadier ...

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

Quote from: ianrs54 on 21 April 2019, 12:37:24 PM
How did we ever promote the regimental cat to General ?

Got there over a pile of bodies. Not a Field Marshal yet, either....

hobbittomm

You never know when the cadet in question  is Cyrano de Bergerac

paulr

This is not helping me decide what my next next project will be (after Scots for the BCW) :-\
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!