errors

Started by cuttingedge, 20 April 2019, 10:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orcs

Quote from: cuttingedge on 25 April 2019, 01:35:28 PM
Ok but still don't get the answer as to whether the PDF download of the rules can be edited by the recipient?

I do not know what Leon is going to do.

However It would be very unusual to allow editing of a commercially available PDF of any type. As this would mean that Pendraken would loose overall control of the content as it would  allow numerous version of the rules to be available as each person tweaked their own copy.

The other question is how many changes make it a "new ruleset"?  allowing an editable PDF  does most of the work for some one who want to rip off the rules. They make a few changes and have a similar but not identical ruleset. While might be able to you can claim breach of copyright, most small companies do not have the funds or time to fight the case

There are several UK wargames companies who have their products copied in places like Australia,and the USA  where the chances of it coming to light are less, and the postage and import costs make it more viable and people less likely to question its provenance.

So the short answer is probably not, but wait for Leon to confirm 

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Leon

Quote from: cuttingedge on 25 April 2019, 01:35:28 PM
Ok but still don't get the answer as to whether the PDF download of the rules can be edited by the recipient?

The pdf can't be edited by the buyer, as Mark says that would cause no end of problems with content being copied or used elsewhere.  If you're printing the pdf then you can edit the printed version but the pdf would remain as is.  Once we've had a few months of people playing the games and highlighting any queries, we'll look at updating the pdf and you'd receive the updated version automatically through Wargame Vault.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

cuttingedge

yep. totally understand and respect that.

Big Insect

I'm confused - why do you want to know? (I don't actually know the answer to the question but most PDFs can only be edited by the originator).

Once the errata has been collated we will produce an updated PDF - if that helps at all?

Cheers

Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

petercooman

I think he meant to ask if he can update his pdf copy himself untill you guys updaye the copy on wargame vault.

cuttingedge

Yes, just wanted to know if possible to update the PDF manually so to speak as and when errors are identified but that seems not possible so will wait for the officially updated one.

Big Insect

Ah - sorry - my brain was in cyber-mode!

Yes of course - biro, pencil, felt-tip pen ... all legitimate update tools

I'd thought you had wanted to electronically edit your PDF copy  :-[  which is way beyond my poor technical ability to help you with.

My apologies

Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.