Master list for the revamped Feudal Japanese range!

Started by Leon, 17 April 2019, 12:56:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dannyboy

Just to tie in with rct75001's comments, its the building range that was the first draw in to the potential of the range, I think combined with the quality of the castings now completed it's going to be a big enticement. Tables should look superb!  :-bd :-bd :-bd

Big Insect

I'll have a think about a quick-play massed unit battle set of rules.

I'm thinking 100mm by 50mm deep unit bases for starters. To really show-off the formations.

I must dust of my old Japanese samuari warfare DVD sets - Throne of Blood, Kagamusha etc. etc.

Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

fred.

I'm sure I've mentioned Irregular Wars in relation to this period before. A great little set of Japanese, its a small battle set, with each base representing around 200 men, and a force consisting of around 12 to 20 bases.

While not specifically for Japanese warfare it does have a few Japanese lists, and several others for neighbouring protagonists.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Big Insect

'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

fred.

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Dannyboy

I  remember a thread on TMP 's forum on samurai army unit composition based on the incredible research by Emmanuel Valerio, that was based around the original evidence of the Battle scene scroll as opposed to the "old school" WRG infatuation with which units counted as blade superior etc. In it he suggests units were made up of retainer groups of varying arms e.g. Tepo, Yari etc. The larger formations being built up from these like blocks. Very similar to the Household retainer units of the War of the Roses.

In this context, larger mixed troop "vignette" type bases would seem to be a more accurate way to go. If you have a chance do check out Emmanuel Valeriio's work, it's simply an absolute essential resource.

Google link:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?biw=1024&bih=723&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=dFlNXcnGH5aP8gLY4p6YCQ&q=emmanuel+valerio%2C+samurai&oq=emmanuel+valerio%2C+samurai&gs_l=img.3...15299851.15307191..15307866...0.0..0.152.2117.23j2......0....1..gws-wiz-img.....0..0j0i67j0i8i30j0i30j0i5i30j0i24.5xgkDuV4QjE&ved=&uact=5

Looking online, "Killer Kattana's" and PP's "Age of War" both get honourable mentions, I have no experience of either and  it appears KK may be hard to get hold of, or very expensive.

Anyway hope it's of use, all the best.

Jon

Dannyboy

I'm unsure on rules at the moment but do like the look of larger vignette bases.

Am thinking in terms of  Infantry = 40 x 40mm (Ties in with a lot of rules, I'm thinking of the likes of Hail Cesare especially, but gives enough space to individualise elements).
                                   Cavalry  = 40 x 50mm ( I intend mixing cavalry and infantry to represent retainers and bannermen attached to cavalry, so again bigger bases work here).
Generals/ command and artillery = 50 x 50mm (Plenty of room for standards etc).

Thinking in terms of each of the elements representing a samurai and retainers and then building these up into larger clan formations.

BravoSix

Any plans for Ronin? Say like Seven Samurai types? Maybe some bandits? I think it would also be cool if you explored the Fantasy Japan element with Oni as well.

I know, I know..... one thing at a time.  8)

-Todd
Fields of Fire :: Reloaded :: The Online Community for Vietnam Wargaming

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

See the Hoi ploy are getting uppity, 7 posts and demanding new figures (you wuz warned Todd)  ;)
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fred.

Quote from: BravoSix on 14 June 2020, 01:31:37 PM
Any plans for Ronin? Say like Seven Samurai types? Maybe some bandits? I think it would also be cool if you explored the Fantasy Japan element with Oni as well.

They would be cool

BravoSix

Quote(you wuz warned Todd) 

Fair enough. I was indeed.

-Todd
Fields of Fire :: Reloaded :: The Online Community for Vietnam Wargaming

Paper

I believe the "peasants" are meant to be Ronin and bandits.