1860s Europe in 3mm - best rules ?

Started by Sunray, 16 April 2019, 05:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

Right,  Prussian threatens Ruritania.   OO armies based loosely on Prussian war with Denmark.   I may use them for that little scrap at some point  :)

I have dusted off my original copy of Keith John Warren's  To the last gaiter button   - I still like the NICE principle and the Square Bashing system of movement.

The issue - both armies I this game will be Germanic in ethos.   Is there a decent set of rules for the wars of German unification or anything that has surpassed TLGB in terms of simple but realistic play ?

mollinary

There is a version of TtLGB for the War of 1866 which might be what you are looking for. It is called Trapped Like a Fox.
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Steve J

Bloody Big Battles is well worth a look as it gives great games but with elegantly simple game mechanics.

Smoking gun

Quote from: Sunray on 16 April 2019, 05:36:03 PM
Right,  Prussian threatens Ruritania.   OO armies based loosely on Prussian war with Denmark.   I may use them for that little scrap at some point  :)

Please help. Who are OO armies? I tried Google but got nothing useful.

Thank you,

Martin
Now they've knocked me down and taken it, that still hot and smoking gun.

Ithoriel

Quote from: Smoking gun on 16 April 2019, 07:45:19 PM

Thank you,

Martin

I presume Oddzial Osmy, though I'm more used to seeing them abbreviated as O8.

Available from Magister Militum here:

https://www.magistermilitum.com/manufacturer/oddzial-osmy-3mm-15mm-from-poland.html?cat%5B0%5D=62397
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Nick the Lemming

Thank you,

Martin

Oddzmial Osmy (also known as O8)

Sunray

Thank you,

Martin

Sorry Martin,  I was unaware of the correct abbreviation - James

Leman

From Shako to Coalscuttle would eminently suit a mid-C19th game in any scale. It is battalion based and uses a very interesting dice rolling system to achieve results, plus it is very reasonably priced on Wargame Vault.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Sunray

Quote from: Leman on 17 April 2019, 09:00:40 AM
From Shako to Coalscuttle would eminently suit a mid-C19th game in any scale. It is battalion based and uses a very interesting dice rolling system to achieve results, plus it is very reasonably priced on Wargame Vault.

Thanks Leman. Intrigued by your review thread. How many dice does one need?  Are they the normal 6 side ?   With the limit on units, would this impact on 3mm O8 (note correct abbreviation   8) )  where the eye candy pleasure is a company deployed in 5x 20 figure unit bases ?

mmcv

Any pics about of your 3mm forces? I'm sure battles look pretty epic at that scale!

jambo1

Quote from: mmcv on 17 April 2019, 10:45:03 PM
Any pics about of your 3mm forces? I'm sure battles look pretty epic at that scale!

This!!! :)

Leman

In terms of bases there is a small confusion in the rules, i.e. In one place they talk of 25mm x 20mm, but elsewhere it mentions 25mm square. I favour the 25mm square as I had previously based up for BBB, but TBH if both armies are compatible I don't see a problem. FSTC is written with four base units in mind, but says that up to six can be used without any problem.

Last Hussar

Size of the figure is unimportant in a "base" based game (like BP or F&F). If figure removal then you needs track hits per base.  It is a bugbear f mine - most rules can be played with any size figure.
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Leman

MMCV, Here is my 3mm con federate army. These are on 30x20mm which works well for BBB and Altar of Freedom, but would also work with FSTC:

This second photo shows my 2mm Prussia v Hanover game, using 25mm square bases. This was for BBB, but again could be used with FSTC:

mmcv

Very nice, you can really represent the size and scale of the battles like that. I've been tempted by the small scales to give horse and musket a go later this year, without it becoming a huge project. Was eyeing 6mm FPW but maybe 3mm ACW or the like could be interesting!