A few questions regarding Danes...

Started by William W, 15 April 2019, 09:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

William W

As my East Germans are very nearly assembled I have been planning my next project: territorial and coastal defence units for LANDZEALAND during the early 70s (30 year out of date equipment included.) There are some things that I have not been able to figure out, however, and I was hoping I could get some help here.

Firstly... The stats for the Achilles (CWC, page 107) seem a bit off to me, especially the armour save and hits. Is there a reason for this or might it be a mistake?

Also, I was wondering which era the H&R Danish infantry is suitable for. I assume it's post 1980, with the newer M/84 uniforms, but information regarding this range (apart from the tanks) is scarce. 

Thanks in advance.  :)

sultanbev

M10 Achilles IIC has 4 hits at 5 to save, same as a Cromwell (pg106) so about right to me. Also same as Isherman (pg.66).
WHilst the armour was quite thin (57mm turret front, 38mm hull front) it was well sloped, equating to a LoS thickness of 11cm on the turret and 6cm on the hull, making it on a par with Shermans and better hull down than Shermans, Cromwells, Comets. It's probably another one of them that should be 3.5 hits at 5.2 to save unless it's hull down, but there isn't enough granularity in the CWC system to denote small differences between armour values. Were you thinking it should be less?

Danish army used Garands and US style helmets, so I'd consider using WW2 Americans in 6mm or 10mm for riflemen, and US Vietnam era M60 gunners for your MG42/59 gunners. Cold War British for 84mm M2 and 60mm mortar teams. Unless you can find a figure with a round US style helmet and a Bren gun, you're going to struggle representing the M1948 Madsen LMG.

Mark

William W

Good points. The reason for my confusion was that the M36 has 3 hits and 6 to save, despite being nearly identical (apart from the turret armour) to the M10. But as you mentioned the Sherman and similar tanks, which I hadn't checked, are 4-5 so the M36 does seem to be an outlier. And on second thought it does seem reasonable that the Achilles IIC would be more difficult to hit at this level of abstraction as the Achilles unit would likely more often than not fire from concealed positions and rarely perform offensive manoeuvrers.  :-

Anyhow, thank you for your thoughts on the Achilles and for your suggestions in regards to the miniatures. It's been really helpful. Got an order placed and I think I'll go with the stats in the book for now.

Cheers!

Leman

Do they really have one of the longest bridges in the world?

Is their economy almost entirely dependant on bacon and butter?

Did they name Jutland because it juts out into the sea?

Do they honestly believe that Carlsberg is the best lager in the world?

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

FierceKitty

And Oscar Wilde's pertinent question whether the commentators on Hamlet are really mad, or only pretending to be.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!