Arnhem Project - British Airborne

Started by Stratoq, 12 April 2019, 10:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stratoq

Having always been interested in the Battle of Arnhem, I have finally bought British Airborne figures to use for Blitzkrieg Commander. This is the first part of an Arnhem project.

Will post an update when painted and based.

Leon

Excellent, I'll be keeping an eye on this!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Stratoq

Begun painting the British for this project. First up is the Para Battalion.

More pictures available here:
https://stratoqswargames.wordpress.com/2019/04/25/bkc-iv-british-airborne-pt-2/

Techno

Agreed, Steve.

Look forward to seeing this project progress. :)

Cheers - Phil

Stratoq

Thank you. Although it was my interest in the British Airborne that led to this project, I'm starting to think the varied German forces will be even more interesting to research and build up.

fred.

Good to see these coloured in!

I've got a big interest in the Market Garden campaign, and the German forces are very mixed, and interesting, I've gone for a representative mix, rather than anything too representative, to try to give the option to play many of the different engagements. It Never Snows in September is a very good book for the German side of it.

Then you can add US Airborne, and XXX Corps with its tanks. Lots of stuff to buy.

Some of my stuff can be see here http://www.kerynne.com/games/BritishParas.html
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Stratoq

Quote from: fred. on 25 April 2019, 09:26:18 PM
Good to see these coloured in!

I've got a big interest in the Market Garden campaign, and the German forces are very mixed, and interesting, I've gone for a representative mix, rather than anything too representative, to try to give the option to play many of the different engagements. It Never Snows in September is a very good book for the German side of it.

Then you can add US Airborne, and XXX Corps with its tanks. Lots of stuff to buy.

Some of my stuff can be see here http://www.kerynne.com/games/BritishParas.html

It Never Snows in September is an excellent source for the German units. That being said there seems to be a lot of debate regarding the strength of the German units between sources.

Very nice models! Something to aspire to.

Poggle

Nicely done! I'm looking forward to seeing the progress of this.

Stratoq

Next up is the 1st Airborne Reconnaissance Squadron. There are a few options for fielding this unit so any thoughts would be much appreciated.

First question is would it be best to use 3 or 6 jeeps to represent the 3 troops (each with 8 jeeps) of the Squadron?

The other part is more specific to the British Airborne list in BKC IV. The options I believe could work are below:

Option 1:
1x HQ (CV8)
3x Platoon (Recce)
3x Jeeps (from the recce section)
This option uses the recce jeeps and infantry platoons (or troops in this case) but the jeeps don't have the stats for a Vickers K gun.

Option 2:
1x HQ (CV8)
3x Jeeps, Vickers (from the lend-lease section)
This option provides the stats for the Vickers K gun but these jeeps do not have a transport slot as per the rules nor do they have the recce ability.

Option 3:
House rule a comprise between the two options. I would want to do a bit more reading around how the Squadron operated before deciding exactly what to change.

Of course any other suggestions are welcome.

lowlylowlycook

Big Insect

If you buy the Infantry Recce and put them in the jeeps - the jeeps can use the Recce movement rules.
The passengers act as Recce in the usual manner. If they dismount from the Jeeps the jeeps can behave as a normal unit if desired.
Its a compromise (for now) but we can put a jeep recce in the updated list PDF.

Also, worth trying your Paras as Elite status, rather than Veterans.
Elite: No Command value for assaulting the enemy and deduct one dice when rolling for suppression/fall-back

This should have been an option in the Special Characteristics list and will be included in the PDF errata.

They look great

Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Techno