Recce movement

Started by jaztez, 12 April 2019, 09:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaztez

Sorry guys, another question.

In the recce section it says all of these:

Recce move during initiative on roll of a dice.

A recce unit can move at any point or a players turn.

In the table, a recce unit moves in the command phase.

So.... Clear as mud to me.

And do recce always move using a d6 roll?
My historical wargaming site: https://miniaturewar.games

Shedman

On page 29 it says

To move a Recce unit, roll 1d6 during your initiative phase

It also says

A Recce unit can choose to move at any time during the controlling player's game turn, before any other movement or even after all Commanders, except the CO, have moved.

They roll a d6 in the initiative phase instead of doing any other recce action

This gives them between 1 and 3 moves

These moves are carried out during the command phase whenever the owning player decides

The reasoning behind this is that

1. recce are quite mobile

2. the enemy can opportunity fire at them

3. because they can move at any point in the command phase the owner can wait til the enemy has opp fired at other targets so the recce can move unscathed

jaztez

Hi

That's what I thought. But I don't get why you have to roll the d6 in the imitative phase but use the moves in the command phase? If you have 10 recce units that's ten possible units you have to mark the movement for. Why not roll in the command phase when you actually move them?

Shedman

Firstly It guarantees that the Recce unit will have at least 1 move as you can't rely on commanders to move them

Secondly it indicates the action they are going to take in the Initiative phase

Thirdly it's only sporting that you give the enemy a chance to opp fire at your recon

>If you have 10 recce units that's ten possible units you have to mark the movement for

If you have 10 Recce units on the table then that's potentially 10,000 points of kit on the table so marking them would be the least of your worries  :)

We put a die by each Recce unit to indicate the number of moves it has

The recce rules originally come from Future War Commander. We have used them as house rules for BKC1 &  II and for Cold war Commander.

I can appreciate that they may seem weird from just reading the rules but try them out on the table. I'm biased but I reckon they are probably the best recon rules in the world

jaztez

Ha ha ill try them.

Im not using point's.

A recce battalion would have significant amounts of units, so that's what I'll be using.

Ithoriel

They may have lots of units but very few of them would be conducting recce in the sense BKC uses, if the battalion was deployed as a whole.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Shedman

Quote from: jaztez on 12 April 2019, 11:13:08 PM
A recce battalion would have significant amounts of units, so that's what I'll be using.

In that case you want Recce Support units (RSU) instead of Recce units

Recce Support works in a slightly different way

See Page 32 - Recce Support Unit

In the Initiative phase you decide if the RSU will act  as a Recce Unit or as a Combat Unit

If they act as a Recce Unit then the only actions they can do are communicate with a command unit or act as an observer for a command unit

If they act as a Combat unit they they move/fire etc as any other combat unit under normal command  rules ie the commander has to roll to get them to move

In BKC a recce battalion is just another fighting formation that moves and fires in the Command phase

If you make all of the units in a recce battalion "Recce" then you are doomed as Recce can only fire when assaulted - they can not fire offensively or opportunity fire

jaztez

Hi

Yep I get that.

But a recce btn would have lots of options for recce or combat, so what I'm saying is I'll be fielding proper recce units, which means more options for recce rules, than just dumping a jeep into a formation to recce  :)

Shedman

> a recce btn would have lots of options for recce or combat

Absolutely. So that is why the owning player decides at the start of the turn whether a Recce Support unit base is either in Recce mode or Combat mode

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

I'd never let the M5 Stuarts in US cavalry and T34's in Russian Recce Btns act as scouts, tanks are not stealthy animals.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Prophaniti

13 April 2019, 03:52:00 PM #10 Last Edit: 13 April 2019, 05:50:01 PM by Prophaniti
I do believe Russian recce largely consisted of advancing until shot at.  Then everyone headed towards the noise.  So stealth not essential. ;D

Ithoriel

"Drive down that road until something blows you up ... then come back and report what it was!" :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

petercooman

Quote from: Prophaniti on 13 April 2019, 03:52:00 PM
I do believe Russian recce largely consisted of advancing until shot at.  Then everyone headed towards the noise.  So stealth not essential. ;D

Maybe that's why they still used flags. if the flag dropped, the guys at the back also know they are being shot at  ;D

Dr Dave

A little behind the time here but Jerry recce support companies are 75mm IGs and Paks in North Africa. They're in the recce bttn but I'd reach for the pointy stick if someone tried to argue they had any recce ability as defined in bkc.