Ridges

Started by fsn, 11 April 2019, 09:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

Gentlemen.

I there anywhere where one can source a ridge or two? Hills can be had, but I can't find any ridges.

Ideally, I'd like a ridge to be made of a number of sections, and stackable as space is a premium.

I don't want to make a single structure, as I'd like to be able to configure in a number of ways.

Any thoughts?   

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fsn

Thank you.

Yes, I looked at Hexon. I did contemplate ditching everything I do now in favour of Hex terrain ... but just couldn't bring myself to do it.

I may be back to plan A which involved making may own. My worry is that since I want then to be a) stackable and b) configurable, I am forcing myself down the route of boxes with the ends cut off. I worry about their strength as the stackable requirement makes internal bracing difficult. Might be OK for a unit of light archers, but plonk a troop of Centurions on it and my ridge may become a hillock.

Plan B is to develop hill extensions that could link exisiting hill features - but I have no idea how to do that.   

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

Leman

Contact TSS and they may well make you something to order.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Westmarcher

I only have a few commercially made hills - the rest are unfinished pieces of styrofoam, carved and built up sandwich style which I place under a greenish baize cloth. If I require a longer topographical feature like a ridge, I can augment these by placing other items (books, place mats, plates, pieces of wood, etc.) under the baize cloth. Maximum flexibility at minimal cost.  :)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

fsn

I've ordered some party serving dishes from Amazon. They seem the right size, if a little steep sided.

I've covered the first of them with pva and static grass mat. I'm hoping this will add to the strength, but I think I'm going to have to devise some internal bracing, especially for the open ends. Some sort of removable pylon. Needs to be able to hold a troop of Centurions without noticeable sag. 

This will do for straight bits I'm sure. The corners may take a little more thought.   

John Cook

TSS certainly do cliffs.  Failing that there is Geo-Hex.

steve_holmes_11

Early days yet.

I bought three of those 1 x 2 metre grass mats form Aldi (Lidl are currently selling the same brand at the same price).

One was cut to match my table and provided another half area piece handy for asmaller games.
One will meet the same fate, but be parked with a grid.
The final one is being sliced into terrain shapes.

The mat is too thick to use these shapes as forest outlines, fields or the like.
I'm planning on stacking several concentric pieces to make hills of different sorts.
Most cuts are presently square in outline (knock off the corners for something vaguely round).
I have a few longer offcuts that I plan to use for ridgelines or spurs.

Sunray

Quote from: fsn on 11 April 2019, 09:14:42 PM
Gentlemen.

I there anywhere where one can source a ridge or two? Hills can be had, but I can't find any ridges.

Ideally, I'd like a ridge to be made of a number of sections, and stackable as space is a premium.

I don't want to make a single structure, as I'd like to be able to configure in a number of ways.

Any thoughts? 

Hi Nobby

I have used old 28mm scale plastic moulded weapon pits. Covered the entrenchments with paper mache/ painters chalk  to make very pleasing 10mm and 6mm ridges and hills.  They are old Bellona range.

Now quite a few of that range are in Amera   www.amera.co.uk 

If you take  T-205  and T-206 (1/35 scale) they make a great 10mm ridge with Styrofoam and Painters chalk to fill the trench and lots of interesting hills/escarpments in Islands and landscapes.

The D -DAY beach , the 15mm scale sand dunes , the SF islands- all can be adapted to 10mm,

fsn

Thanks, Sunray. I'll have a look.  :)

toxicpixie

07 June 2019, 11:56:38 AM #10 Last Edit: 07 June 2019, 11:58:58 AM by toxicpixie
I was going to suggest Amera would have suitable stuff!

Very handy range :)

Stuff like the 1/72nd dispersal pen walls might work, or the trench sections in the 15mm range - as suggested cover the middle and you're good.

But easiest might be the good old blue foam, carve with a hot knife, paint & flock?
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting