Priming Mongols

Started by Cavillarius, 09 July 2019, 02:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavillarius

Hi All,
Today I received my considerable shipment of Mongols!

I'm thinking about priming them in the right color:
I recently primed a 6mm project with an Ancient Indian army in the color I had chosen for their skin, and given that they wear little or nothing, that worked out great.

Before that I primed a NWF army in white, before I applied a very watery mix of buff and khaki for their uniforms, actually achieving an effect similar to GW Contrast paints!

Now I'm thinking of priming the Mongols in an average horsy color to save some time by not having to paint all of them. Am I being too experimental here?

I'd value your opinions/suggestions.

For example: Would a brownish undercoat be a good/bad idea for the other colors generally found in Mongol dress?
Cheers

Shedman

I gave  my Mongols a base coat of light brown and then  a wash of dark brown - worked for me

Cavillarius

Ah yes, washing after, of course, clever!

Fenton

09 July 2019, 04:16:37 PM #3 Last Edit: 09 July 2019, 04:18:46 PM by Fenton
Fur Brown spray by army painter is a good horse colour and followed by a brown wash looks good

If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Glorfindel

I painted four units of Mongol light cavalry for my Dogs of War army and
thought the figures were superb.  

Although a fantasy army, I read up about the colours worn historically in
case I wanted to expand them into an army in their own right.   Apparently,
they did wear quite bright colours (not sure how much of this is known or
just taken from 'Hollywood history') !!

Anyway, I painted over a black u/c but tried to give each unit an individual
colour theme.   Very happy with the results.

I will try to post some pics.

Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

White, base coat, brown or black ink worked well for me!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Fenton

My next figures I was going to try painting with inks using this method. I know it's a 28mm fig in the video but I don't see why it wouldn't work

https://youtu.be/FUBsVdcbcfg

If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!