Correct English response to Currentn European issues

Started by Orcs, 11 April 2019, 10:28:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is the correct English response to current European issues????

Chevauchée into France
Demand return of Normandy and Aquataine as English
Demand Germany return sovereignty of the regions of Saxe Coburg and Gotha
Demand full Financial recompense for the cost of WW2 from Germany
Bill each European country fr the cost of liberating it from the Germans in 1944/45
Make loud vocal an Media campaigns about hw ungreatful most of europe is that we liberated them from Germany in 1944/45 and they have now put themselves back under the Germans.
Declare war on France with Germany as our alies as in te good old days before the 20th Century

Ithoriel

I think your Charlie G needs pointed in exactly the opposite direction!

"God is on the side of the big battalions" :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Heedless Horseman

I honestly CANNOT understand why anyone would want to be just another 'Department' or whatever, of a European superstate. Yes, That irritating little bit on the corner...just off the edge, in fact. You know...the one that whines about Your well though out, totally fair and impartial policies until you have to 'bung' it some Euros or 'Make Concessions' lo let it feel important.   =)  Maybe it would be best if we encouraged it to chop itself up into smaller pieces?   8)
Oh well, back to my padded cell...(but will leave the door unlocked for Blondie...!)  :d
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

FierceKitty

Most successful political institution in history. Has western Europe EVER had such a long period of peace before?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Orcs

Quote from: FierceKitty on 16 April 2019, 02:05:48 AM
Most successful political institution in history. Has western Europe EVER had such a long period of peace before?

Not Sure I would call it peace FK. while there has been nothing to compare to WW2 plenty of people have died in armed conflicts. I appreciate a few listed below are not quite  Western Europe, but they still had an impact on the west of Europe.

1944–1956 Guerrilla war in the Baltic states
1945–1949 Greek Civil War
1947–1962 Romanian anti-communist resistance movement
1956 Hungarian Revolution
1956 Suez Crisis
1959–2011 Basque conflict
1968 Warsaw Pact invasion of Czechoslovakia
1968–1998 The Troubles
1974 Turkish invasion of Cyprus
1982 Falklands war
1988–1994 Nagorno-Karabakh War
1989 Romanian Revolution
1990–1991 Soviet attacks on Lithuanian border posts
1991 Ten-Day War (Slovenia)
1991–1992 Georgian war against Russo-Ossetian alliance
1991–1993 Georgian Civil War
1991–1995 Croatian War of Independence
1992–1993 War in Abkhazia
1994–1996 First Chechen War
1997 Albanian civil war of 1997
1998–1999 Kosovo War
1998–present Dissident Irish Republican campaign
1998 Six-Day War of Abkhazia
1999 War of Dagestan
1999–2009 Second Chechen War

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

FierceKitty

16 April 2019, 08:55:09 AM #50 Last Edit: 16 April 2019, 08:57:28 AM by FierceKitty
I fear my comment was skim read, causing the importance of the epithet western to be overlooked. Of course what happens elsewhere can hardly be without effect.

d_Guy

Heaven knows Western Europe deserves a period of peace (and may it extend into the foreseeable future).
Depending on how you draw the boundaries, the Pax Romana was longer.
Is it possible that the "Most successful political institution in history" benefitted and benefits still from a certain broader and overarching military organization?
Sleep with clean hands ...

Dr Dave

The peace we have enjoyed might be down to the democracies that rose out of the ashes of WW2 that in turn led to the EU being formed, not solely the EU itself. You could equally ascribe all those years of peace to the division and occupation of Germany?

A colleague of mine was espousing Angela Merkal as bright cookie: chancellor and a published author. I pointed out that there had been a previous incumbent of the post who was a published author.  :P

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Yes, absolutely agree, Dr Dave,
Willy Brandt is a highly published author.
1960 Mein Weg nach Berlin (My Path to Berlin), autobiography written with Leo Lania
1966 Draußen. Schriften während der Emigration. (Outside: Writings during the Emigration) ISBN 3-8012-1094-4
1968 Friedenspolitik in Europa (The Politics of Peace in Europe)
1976 Begegnungen und Einsichten 1960–1975 (Encounters and Insights 1960–1975) ISBN 3-455-08979-8
1982 Links und frei. Mein Weg 1930–1950 (Left and Free: My Path 1930–1950)
1986 Der organisierte Wahnsinn (Organized Lunacy)
1989 Erinnerungen (Memories) ISBN 3-549-07353-4
2002 Berliner Ausgabe, Werkauswahl, ed. for Bundeskanzler Willy Brandt Stiftung by Helga Grebing, Gregor Schöllgen and Heinrich August Winkler, 10 volumes, Dietz Verlag, Bonn 2002f, Collected Writings, ISBN 3-8012-0305-0
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

FierceKitty

Ve vill show zem who are ze Masters of publishing in politics, mein Fuehrer. It vill be...oh, I am sorry, Madame Chancellor, zat is. (draws heavily on cigarette)

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

"...animals could be bred and slaughtered..." (face convulses)

Best line in any movie (or one of them at least).

steve_holmes_11

It doesn't work like that, it's like the McDonalds peacekeeper theory.
QuoteNo 2. nations wirh a McDonalds have ever gone to war.

In this case it is "No 2 EU members have ever gone to war.
Compare with the longest previous peace between members of the region.

Of course other casus pacis may also claim credit - notably N.A.T.O.

Quote from: Orcs on 16 April 2019, 08:44:34 AM
Not Sure I would call it peace FK. while there has been nothing to compare to WW2 plenty of people have died in armed conflicts. I appreciate a few listed below are not quite  Western Europe, but they still had an impact on the west of Europe.

1944–1956 Guerrilla war in the Baltic states
1945–1949 Greek Civil War
1947–1962 Romanian anti-communist resistance movement
1956 Hungarian Revolution
1956 Suez Crisis
1959–2011 Basque conflict
1968 Warsaw Pact invasion of Czechoslovakia
1968–1998 The Troubles
1974 Turkish invasion of Cyprus
1982 Falklands war
1988–1994 Nagorno-Karabakh War
1989 Romanian Revolution
1990–1991 Soviet attacks on Lithuanian border posts
1991 Ten-Day War (Slovenia)
1991–1992 Georgian war against Russo-Ossetian alliance
1991–1993 Georgian Civil War
1991–1995 Croatian War of Independence
1992–1993 War in Abkhazia
1994–1996 First Chechen War
1997 Albanian civil war of 1997
1998–1999 Kosovo War
1998–present Dissident Irish Republican campaign
1998 Six-Day War of Abkhazia
1999 War of Dagestan
1999–2009 Second Chechen War

Heedless Horseman

Ha...hmmm. Folks might not wish to remember Tony Blair, (during his stint as EU Big Boss...and I think, hoping to be a future EU President), trying to be a master statesman and whip up EU support for military action against Serbia? But...no-one wanted to play...at least with serious stuff...so to save face, he had to invoke NATO (in other words, the U.S.A)  to bomb the crap out of the Serbs. As to the later consequences of this support, I have my own opinions...but, it does involve the U.K (an EU member!) going to 'war'.
That ain't Peace in my book!).  :(
I also believe that the EU pushing for influence in the ex-Soviet sphere led directly to the warfare in the Ukraine and the resurgence of the Cold War. (At least, it gave Putin the excuse!).  :(
'People' now attack the 'British Empire' for it's expansion into existence...but that expansion was in the name of influence for TRADE! Not many seem willing to criticise the EU for beginning a similar sort of situation.  >:(
Whether the U.K is in or out of the EU, I have NO belief in it as a 'peace keeper'. Their meddling in political pre-requisites for a Brexit 'Deal' could easily re-ignite troubles in Northern Ireland...or create them in Scotland....and as to what future Britons who desired independence from EU domination might resort to...??  :(
It is THIS sort of desire for control that should raise serious doubt in the Remainers!

Me, well, I say get OUT...and in my crazy dreams, we still have sheds or mineshafts stuffed with mothballed Cold War stuff...just in case history with our EU friends does repeat.  :(  :o  :(    ;D ;D ;D
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)