Standard base shape and size.

Started by Paper, 09 April 2019, 04:45:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

Quote from: Ithoriel on 09 April 2019, 11:59:56 AM
Besides, if you are a weirdo you'll fit in well here :)
I thought it was an requirement of entry?

One of the things that constantly amazes me if the number of different ways we all approach the hobby, and how we all have our own little preferences and foibles.* This Forum is a repository of great experience and knowlege, and lots of people to offer opinion, advice and usually some description of how they tried it in 1984, and didn't like it so painted it blue and called it a cantiniere.

They are also quite interested in people trying out new ideas.

*I keep my foibles in an old ice cream tub.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Raider4

Quote from: Zippee on 09 April 2019, 01:37:43 PM
I have based lots of non-10mm on washers with holes in them, I simply stuck a square of paper/card over the hole, glued and textured the fig in place and voila! No need to infill the hole. if that works with 25mm washers I'm sure it'll work with dinky 7mm ones.

Exactly what I do, except I'm using 15 & 20 mm washers. Works a treat.

Raider4

Quote from: fsn on 09 April 2019, 01:49:13 PM
One of the things that constantly amazes me if the number of different ways we all approach the hobby, and how we all have our own little preferences and foibles.*

Yeah, there was recent thread about using a Dremel to flatten the bottom of bases. One reply answering the question, two helpful hints concerning safety, and half dozen replies along the lines of "You do what? Why? Why don't you do <x, y, z> instead.".

As long as no-one gets too sneery it's all grand.

Dr Dave

Too small? Then glue them to a permanent sabot.

Too big? Dremmel and or snips.

I've never had problems with either of these options.

Orcs

09 April 2019, 10:08:47 PM #19 Last Edit: 09 April 2019, 10:11:51 PM by Orcs
Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 09 April 2019, 08:49:26 AM
It seems a little small for MDF cutting.

Shouldn't be a problem as the Dice holders are about this size. Although it might be expensive oin laser time as I believe their life is measured in the number of hours they are on

I have a revolving hole punch that will punch out card circles up to 4.5mm out of picture mounting board.  I recently used it to make 1/72 teller mines to go on top of "Rommels Asparagus"

or get a set of these, I expect they will work with mounting card

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pieces-Hollow-Leather-Gasket-Clothes/dp/B07BT47968/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=7mm+punch&qid=1554844072&s=gateway&sr=8-2

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson