Trip to Hadrian’s Wall Country - 30/04/19 - 05/04/19

Started by Leman, 06 April 2019, 11:33:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

Just back from a very enjoyable walking holiday in Haltwhistle, Northumberland, the heart of Hadrian's Wall Country. As well as the Wall and associated museums, also walked in the South Tyne valley where there are the remains of a Roman road (The Maiden Way) and the impressive fort near Alston now known as Whitley Castle. Here are a few photos from my Facebook page:

The first two are reconstructions in the Roman Army museum at Carvoran (Greenhead). The next few show the Wall around Great Chesters fort. The last two show remaining hardcore on the Maiden Way Roman road near Burnstones, and the successive defensive ditches at Whitley Castle (Epiacum Roman fort) near Alston.

Couldn't resist this one taken of the reconstruction of Hadrian's Wall at Vindolanda on one of the two days it snowed.

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Ithoriel

Looks good. Brings back memories.

Particularly like the pic of the reconstruction at Vindolanda in the snow.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

T13A

Hi Leman

Thanks for this, perfect timing. Of to Northumberland for a week in July for the first time. Anything else not to miss?

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

Westmarcher

Great photos, Andy.  :-bd 

Being aware that you were walking The Wall, I spared a thought for you when the weather turned - so good to see it went well overall. Noted that the mannequins are sensibly dressed for the North European climate and none of that short sleeve, bare knees malarkey. It's a number of years since I've been there myself. I can recall the ditches on either side at one stretch of the modern road - these were quite massive but nowhere as large as they were 1800 years or more ago bearing in mind time and weather would have filled them in somewhat since that era. There's also a stretch of wall - a 'U' shaped dip in a ridge with a tree at the bottom - where a scene from Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves featuring Kevin Costner and Morgan Freeman was filmed. Although I'm not an Ancients war gamer, if anyone has not visited Hadrians's Wall, I would thoroughly recommend it. 
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Leman

Paul - The finest stretch of extant wall is a few miles further east than where I was walking, i.e. Housesteads to Steel Rigg. West of Steel  Rigg the wall is more intermittent, but there are a few sections where the wall is really quite tall. This ends at Cawfields quarry, where there is a well-preserved Milecastle (see picture three above). I was walking west from Cawfields via Great Chesters fort. The Roman Army `museum at Greenhead and the museum and excavated remains at Vindolanda.

Westie - the tree in Robin Hood is at a point on the wall known as Sycamore Gap. This is east of Steel Rigg back towards Housesteads. There is also a smaller wall enclosure surrounding a smaller tree. Allegedly this was planted by Kevin Costner after filming Robin Hood. Mind you, still not clear why he landed on the south coast then made his way to Nottingham via Hadrian's Wall!  ;D ;D ;D

T13A

T13A Out!

Ithoriel

Paul,

if you could only see one, I'd go for Vindolanda,

After that I'd recommend Housteads, The Roman Army Museum, Corstopitum (Corbridge) and Chester's Fort in that order of preference.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

:-bd =D> :-bd

Good to know you enjoyed your stroll in lovely British spring weather ;) ;D
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

lowlylowlycook

Some very nice pics but where are the picts?

Thanks for sharing!

Techno

Nice one, Andy. :)

Couple of months ago (or more) I borrowed a talking book about Hadrian from the mobile library.
Sadly couldn't get on with it, at all, and gave up after the first two discs.
Wish I'd persevered, now.

Cheers - Phil

Leon

We love it up there, we've done a lot of the forts and we'd like to walk the whole wall in the next couple of years.  I think Housesteads is the main omission from our list so we'll have to go do that this summer.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Leman

Don't forget the obligatory photo on the Roman bog!

Ithoriel

Quote from: Leman on 08 April 2019, 07:53:37 AM
Don't forget the obligatory photo on the Roman bog!

The bath house at Chester's Fort used to be our go to site for visitors who wanted that shot, Leman.