Base sizes - recommended base sizes for 10mm figures/models ?

Started by mlr314159, 05 April 2019, 07:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mlr314159

Hello

Not having the rules yet, but a lot of Pendraken figures / models,
what are the recommended base sizes for 10mm figures/models ?

Thanks

petercooman

Hope it's ok to post already
What is recommended:

Unit type                  Base Width              Base Depth               Approximate Number of 10mm figures     
Air Power                     50mm                      50mm                                   1 plane on a stand
Artillery                        50mm                      50mm                                   1 gun + crew
Command                   50mm                      50mm                                   As appropriate
Infantry + Cavalry       50mm                      25mm                                            5
Vehicles                       25mm                      50mm                                            1 (Cars/Halftracks/Tanks)

Personally i use:
- 50x50 for CO and 40x40 for hq, to tell them apart easily
-40x40 for artillery
-30x50 for tanks as some are a tight fit on a narrower base

Doesn't really matter that much, the difference is small!

Steve J

CO - 40mm x 40mm
HQs - 25mm x 25mm
Infantry - 50mm x 25mm
Support Weapons - 25mm x 25mm
Artillery - 25mm x 50mm (or larger as required)

The smaller foot print HQs mean that they fit in trenches etc along with the infantry, ditto the support weapons. It works for me and IIRC these were the base sizes that the author of BKCII used.

williamb

I used 50mm wide for everything except command.   For CO I have 60mm round and for HG 40mm round.   FO and FAO are on 30mm round.

Big Insect

No fixed base sizes in the rules - just recommendations - but what the folk have posted above gives you a good idea for 10mm.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

alanl

Just organising my 10mm figures and need to check about base sizes, particularly for infantry.

If I base infantry on the like of 30mm x 30mm with, say, 4 figures per base, rather than 50mm frontage as has been suggested, is that likely to cause an issue?  I have yet to get the rules so I don't know if there is a template for the blast radius of HE artillery fire.  Having bases on the narrower frontage would mean that more stands would be affected.

holdfast

I am working my way through my first game on my own, and observe that if you make the bases smaller them you make manoeuvre easier, line of sight problems reduce as the unit in front blocks less frontage and you can possibly get more units into a close assault. I find that the 50mm by 25mm base size for infantry works pretty well, and is fairly compatible with other rule sets.

Zinkala

Quote from: alanl on 13 February 2021, 09:03:28 PM
Just organising my 10mm figures and need to check about base sizes, particularly for infantry.

If I base infantry on the like of 30mm x 30mm with, say, 4 figures per base, rather than 50mm frontage as has been suggested, is that likely to cause an issue?  I have yet to get the rules so I don't know if there is a template for the blast radius of HE artillery fire.  Having bases on the narrower frontage would mean that more stands would be affected.

No way near an expert but will through my experience as a new player out here. We've played a bunch of games the last 2 weeks, 1 every day or so. I based my 1/285 minis on 25 x 20 mm bases with various sizes of round bases for command and recce. In the first couple of games we had nearly all our forces mangled by artillery because of not being spaced very far apart and the size of the templates. Our entire task forces fit under a bomb template. I decided to try half sized templates because my bases are about half size of recommended for 10mm. We kept all the movement and ranges the same. After deciding on smaller templates I read about using these sizes as an optional rule.

Now we have learned to spread out more, artillery and air support  isn't as scary but occasionally still very effective. Also with the smaller templates it's easier to roll enough deviation to completely miss the aiming point. With a 20cm circle you will hit your target even with 1d6 of deviation and a very good chance of a hit with 2d6. With a 10cm diameter you miss the original target 1/3 of the time even with only 1d6 of deviation and less than half the time with 2d6. We just hope there's enough nearby targets that it hits something. We're trying to decide if we want to use the larger original template sizes or halve the deviation distance. Right now leaning towards halving the deviation because we are playing on a bit smaller board than recommended (4' x 5'). Could be using a much larger area  but my gaming table is a ping pong table with half setup for Frostgrave and half for BKC.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

For motorcycles (rated as transport/veh) should one go 50 wide 25 deep or 25 wide and 50 deep for the ubiquitous German BMW and sidecar combination?
Ta
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

I use 30x30mm for pretty much everything except HQ's, and really big stuff where it may be deeper, but almost all my stuff is 6mm

For 10mm I dont base the vehicles and the infantry are on 40 x 20mm. 6pdrs and mortars are on 40x40mm.

However there is no set size for bases, and it doesn't really matter  that the two sides are on different sizes. Mark will tell you we have done several large CWC games with various base sizes.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Leman

Whatever suits you. They're your figures, so go figure.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Raider4

My 6mm are on bases half the size of official Flames of War ones, in case I ever want to use them for that game as well.

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021