Prussian siege artillery ammunition.

Started by YORSTONS, 27 March 2019, 07:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Cook

The items in the picture comprise the projectile, the separate charge and, I think, the two crossed objects might be the tools for setting the fuse, but I'm not entirely certain.

Sunray

Quote from: John Cook on 30 March 2019, 06:06:44 PM
The items in the picture comprise the projectile, the separate charge and, I think, the two crossed objects might be the tools for setting the fuse, but I'm not entirely certain.

Probably correct.  The 1870 Krupp guns had no firing pin.   

YORSTONS

Thanks guys,
Never surprised by the depth of knowledge on here.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Ithoriel on 29 March 2019, 06:02:13 PM
Obturation - "In the field of firearms and airguns, obturation denotes necessary barrel blockage or fit by a deformed soft projectile. A bullet or pellet, made of soft material and often with a concave base, will flare under the heat and pressure of firing, filling the bore and engaging the barrel's rifling." Wikipedia

I may have been getting it wrong.

In the context of a breechloader I understood obturation as preventing gas and flash escaping through the breech mechanism.

John Cook

01 April 2019, 07:09:49 AM #19 Last Edit: 01 April 2019, 07:18:51 AM by John Cook
Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 31 March 2019, 09:07:18 PM
I may have been getting it wrong.

In the context of a breechloader I understood obturation as preventing gas and flash escaping through the breech mechanism.

No, Steve, you have got it right - exactly.  

Early first-generation Krupp breechloaders required an obduration ring, usually made of soft lead or similar material, to help prevent the escape of gas through the breech.  This was not entirely effective and the more gas that escaped, clearly the less that remained to push the projectile out of the gun.  They also used a separate charge and a friction primer, requiring a vent in the breech which further reduced efficiency and, in addition, weakened the piece, hence the sometimes failures of Prussian guns during the war.  

The solution to this was the brass case with an integral primer ignited by a firing pin.  The case not only prevented obduration but also removed the need for a vent.  It was a post war development though pioneered, ironically, by the French who lost all their artillery during the war, either in action or confiscated, and had to start from scratch.  It culminated in the legendary 75mm Model 1897.