CWC errata and changes

Started by Big Insect, 26 March 2019, 06:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Insect

Please can all CWC players - with an interest - start to deposit any and all suggestions, changes and errata into this thread.

I'd like it to act as a reservoir of thoughts at this stage.

Also ... to be clear ... with BKCIV only just available at Salute'19 and immediate action on CWC would be premature.
Plus Leon's typing finger needs a rest ... as does my brain cell!

But fire away ... no suggestion is too barmy for this forum  :'(

Mark (F)
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Techno

Quote from: Big Insect on 26 March 2019, 06:43:38 PM

But fire away ... no suggestion is too barmy for this forum  Mark (F)

:-\

I thought that was a prerequisite.  :D

Cheers - Phil

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Squeak for yourself Phil.

Mark - as a basis tidy up the recce, same as BKC I suspect  - add CA and firing values, again as BKC, tidy up Close Assault.

Missiles - some of the house rules work OK, but need formalising

Attack Choppers - again formalise the house rules.

Transport Choppers - Use them as an asset only, time and place nominated. Much reduce the landing scatter as well, probably only 1 die, or none at all !

Cheers

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Sunray

Can I raise the issue of Korean War supplement rules ?  :o

Probably closer in terms of kit/weapons to BKC WW2 era than CWC.

I feel it would help sales of this excellent range no end if we had a dedicated supplement - Leon and I once discussed a downloadable version.  :) 

Korea should be in BKC - only need to add F-86, M46 and Cent 3/5 + maybe M75? Tactics and weapons all WWII - well tactics in the later stages do resemble WWI

IanS

sediment

ATGM, overpriced for such vulnerable units that aren't outright tank killers.

Cheers, Andy

toxicpixie

ATGM - They often ARE outright tank killers, but only prior to the mid 80's where 90% of CWC games are set ;)

Now I've played Devil's Advocaat (mmm egg nog), I agree, Andy - they're either under effective or overpriced. One shot per turn and ERA/Composite armour in the 80's plus makes them woefully costly and virtually useless (never mind mounting them on very vulnerable platforms as almost all armies do).
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

sultanbev

Thought we'd had these discussions before. The main ones for me were:
increase the command radii minus to -1 per 200cm or similar, not -1 per 20cm, effective radios are a thing you know. 20cm is 400m in CWC, at -2 you are effectively out of radio range with most command values (rolling 5 or 6 on 2D6 isn't easy) and 800m effective radio range is very unrealistic. Bear in mind the end vehicles in a tank platoon are often 800m apart on an open battlefield, thus CWC is saying that the two end tanks in a 4 tank platoon on doctrinal deployment are effectively out of radio range of each other. Things like weather and intervening hills are probably more of a restriction on effective radio range.

Remove thermobaric from artillery, because, they never could fire any. Only aircraft and one or two MRL systems have thermobaric.
Add bomblet or ICM to artillery. And aircraft if it wasn't already in, can't remember.

Can't remember what else there was.

Mark

williamb

A while back I did some revisions to the hit and save ratings for a number of vehicles based on more recent information since CWC was originally printed.   What I found was that M1 tanks were over-rated along with a few others and that some were under-rated.   Many were fine the way they were though.   Since then I have been building a data base of hit and save values that now includes vehicles that have been introduced since the rules were published.   I can make this available to the playtest group. 

Thanks for the offer, look forward to seeing the data.

Dr Dave

ATGM does it fire once per PLAYER turn or once per GAME turn?

Night vision needs to be expanded. Only vehicles have it. Utter nonsense since the 80s when infantry have had it as well.

Dave - some ATGW fire only in op fire, some fire once per pair of turns - ie op fire or normal fire, and some (house rule) can fire twice....

Night vision - Infantry had II in the mid 70's and II is not covered. Neither is GSR nor laser rangers and GPS.

No rules for nuclear - well there are somewhere in the SMP forum cause I wrote them

Dr Dave

II and IR is the same thing. TI is actually IR as well - just in a longer wavelength band.

What's needed in IR (II) is a distinction between active / passive and then infantry and vehicle (small and large) within that. Even the thermal rules need to be small (infantry) and large (gas cooled on a large support wpn or AFV)

On the Golan in 73 the Syrians used active ir with ir lamps - "black light". Israeli tank commanders had hand held ir monoculars so they could see the ir lamps. Alas the Israeli tanks hand no ir sights, so the commanders had to guide their gunners shooting at night.

Dr Dave

AI and Falklands lists have irritating errors as well. But I guess all the lists do to some extent.

Raider4

Quote from: ianrs54 on 01 April 2019, 08:33:18 AM
No rules for nuclear - well there are somewhere in the SMP forum cause I wrote them

Douse the whole battlefield in petrol and throw a lighted match on it?