Pendraken Miniatures Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
17 July 2019, 09:31:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Not-Kickstarter is about ready to ship, have a look at the sculpts here!
280292 Posts in 16746 Topics by 2187 Members
Latest Member: steveww57
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Pendraken Miniatures Forum
|-+  Pendraken Rules!
| |-+  Cold War Commander
| | |-+  Slimbridge CWC Event - 2019 - Date Announced
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slimbridge CWC Event - 2019 - Date Announced  (Read 383 times)
Big Insect
Captain

« on: 26 March 2019, 06:34:20 PM »

Yes folks ...

To run in conjunction with the Cold War Commanders annual 6mm/1:300th scale 'mega-game' up in Grimsby, this year we are holding a companion event down in the UK West Country at Slimbridge in Gloucestershire over the weekend of Saturday 12 ans Sunday 13th October 2019.

The venue is The Tudor Arms public house - great beer and food, and also good accommodation.
Plus it also has a campsite and caravan park and is not far from the Slimbridge Wildfowl Trust.

The Tudor Arms, Shepherd's Patch, Slimbridge GL2 7BP
Phone: 01453 890306

Our intention is to try and set up on the evening of Friday 12th - access to the skittle alley permitting - and then play a series of 1:1 conjoined scenario games over the next 2 days to feed into the big games up at Grimsby. We'll have live Skype feeds and Watsap comms going on between games centres - the pub wi-fi permitting  Grin

Watch this space and the Grimsby thread (on SMP and over here shortly) for more details, but this is a 1985 Central Front based game - so a chance to bring out your French, Americans, Soviets and West Germans.

Pledge your allegiance to one game or another and one side or the other here on this thread.

All welcome - old CWC veterans or newbies or escapees from that Battlefront Cold War game that I refuse to name so as not to give it the air of publicity!

Any questions ... just mail me (need an army ... no problems)

Mark (F)
cardophillipo
Playtester
Second Lieutenant

« Reply #1 on: 27 March 2019, 11:42:36 AM »

Hi Chaps,

The games will be set on the Central Front in 1985 and further details of the scenarios will be posted after Salute as I am working hard getting the BKC IV Display Game sorted. I have also posted on the CWC Facebook Group so if you want to contact me that way feel free.

Cheers

Richard P
cardophillipo
Playtester
Second Lieutenant

« Reply #2 on: 28 March 2019, 09:33:20 AM »

FYI it seems as though we have started something here! There are plans in Australia to join the event and put on a game 'down under' that is also linked to our games here in the UK. There is also the possibility of a game in France as well!

CWC goes global  Grin
ianrs54
Playtester
Lieutenant General

« Reply #3 on: 28 March 2019, 12:44:32 PM »

I can hear your manic cackles Mr Phillips   Wink

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF HURRAY
Big Insect
Captain

« Reply #4 on: 19 June 2019, 07:38:12 PM »

Following the success of BKCIV Bootcamp last weekend I thought I'd just remind all locals (& not so locals) looking to attend our 2 day CWC event Sat 12th and Sun 13th October to get those 6mm armies resupplied and ready to rock & roll.

This is a Central Front game - Fulda Gape and all that Jazz.  Plenty of time between now and then to re-read The Third World War: The Untold Story by Sir John Hackett

Strategic location during the Cold War Commander Game 2019

The northern route through the Gap passes south of the Knüllgebirge and then continues around the northern flank of the Vogelsberg Mountains; the narrower southern route passes through the Fliede and Kinzig Valleys, with the Vogelsberg to the north and the Rhön mountains and Spessart mountains to the south. Perhaps even more importantly, on emerging from the western exit of the Gap, one encounters gentle terrain from there to the river Rhine, which would have counted in favour of Soviet attempts to reach and cross the Rhine before NATO could prevent this (the intervening Main River would have been less of an obstacle).

The Fulda Gap route was less suitable for mechanized troop movement than was the North German Plain, but offered an avenue of advance direct to the heart of the U.S. military in West Germany, Frankfurt am Main, which as indicated in its name, is on the Main River, a tributary of the Rhine River. Frankfurt am Main was not only West Germany's financial heart, but also home to a large airfield (known as Rhein-Main Air Base and Frankfurt Airport) that was designated to receive U.S. reinforcements in the event of war.

So get planning folks  Cheesy

Cheers
Mark
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: