Has a fiction book or film inspired you to start a new period.

Started by grahambeyrout, 23 March 2019, 02:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flamingpig0

"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Leman

Back in the late 60s The Charge of the Light Brigade encouraged me to do the Crimea in 25mm - about 10 years later I sold the figures as too impractical. At about the same time I saw Prince of Foxes on TV and vowed that one day I would get into the Italian Renaissance - which I have now done in four scales! The only other sour to action of this nature was Bernard Cornwell's Winter King trilogy which finally got me into Post-Roman Britain. All other films/novels have come along after I've started that aspect of Wargaming.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

T13A

Hi

Anybody remember the novels by Ronald Welch about the Carey family? I remember getting them from the 'young adult' section of the library back in the late sixties. A whole series of military themed novels covering, if I remember correctly, from the Crusades right up to the First World War. I read every book in the series several times and they certainly helped stimulate my interest in all (well most anyway) things military.

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

Malbork

Absolutely Paul.  :)

Our school library had about half of them and I was was always frustrated that Airfix didn't have the right boxes of troops to replay the book I'd just read.  The whole series was recently republished (well, between 2014 and 2017 I think) and I treated myself to the full set.  They are little formulaic but still a damned good read.  The company also published an unfinished novel that he wrote about Waterloo.

He and GA Henty were my inspiration back in the day 8)

Dannyboy

Christmas Day 1976, I think. Combination of Granada TV showing the Christmas film "Waterloo" and receiving the Airfix Waterloo battle set proved too much, "poor little might" never stood a chance! Benn hooked on ever since....