Has a fiction book or film inspired you to start a new period.

Started by grahambeyrout, 23 March 2019, 02:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: lowlylowlycook on 24 March 2019, 02:39:18 PM
I was thinking something a little more, uh, Mormonish.

As in   "This is BIGAMY Mister Christian".

John Cook

The Conan Doyle historical romances generally but The Exploits of Brigadier Gerard and The Adventures of Gerard in particular. 

Sunray

The Prisoner of Zenda  (Anthony Hope,1894) has inspired by current 3mm campaign using 1/600 ships (Peter Pig) and OO 3mm Prussian and Russian figures for a 1860s game.

steve_holmes_11

JRR Tolkien's work opened my mind to goblins as gaming subjects.

They've become a frequent proxy for various irregular historical forces.

lowlylowlycook

Colleen McCullough's novels starting with "The First Man in Rome" have tempted to do late republican Romans but so far I've resisted that temptation.

Malbork

A re-read of Lewis Crassic Gibbon's Spartacus last year pushed me into finally ordering a slave army to do battle with either my late Republican Romans or Early Imperial ones.

i'm not really going to invest in a caesarian force to face them, am I? Am I? :o

lowlylowlycook

Quote from: Malbork on 29 March 2019, 01:42:57 PM
A re-read of Lewis Crassic Gibbon's Spartacus last year pushed me into finally ordering a slave army to do battle with either my late Republican Romans or Early Imperial ones.

i'm not really going to invest in a caesarian force to face them, am I? Am I? :o

Hmmmm, does anyone do 10mm crosses?

fsn

Just realised all my responses were (to a greater or lesser extent) fact, not fiction, so here's a proper attempt to answer the question.

"The Ship" by CS Forrester. Naval action in the Med in 1940.

Returning to the early Biggles stories ("Biggles Learns to Fly" and "The Camels are Coming") for WWI in the air.

"The Way Ahead" is always a good stiff upper lip job for the Desert War.

"The Duellists", and it's origin "The Duel" by Joseph Conrad gets the Napoleonic blood flowing (in more ways than one.)

Sharpe and Hornblower, "Death to the French" and "The Gun" (made into the lamentable "The Pride and the Passion") ditto.

The first two actually got me into buying lead. The rest sort of keep me going. 

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fsn

Oi bin finking.

Finking about films about ancient and dark age and medieval warfare. One of the things that put me off is they all shout "shield wall!" and form a remarkably fine shield wall ... then everything dissolves into one-to-one combats.  =)

"Henry V" - the 1944 Larry Olivier version of course, not that wannabe Branagh.
"The War Lord" - Charlton Heston as a gloomy Norman ... well ... War Lord in a lonely keep. 

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

Raider4

Quote from: fsn on 29 March 2019, 05:42:10 PM
Finking about films about ancient and dark age and medieval warfare. One of the things that put me off is they all shout "shield wall!" and form a remarkably fine shield wall ... then everything dissolves into one-to-one combats.  =)

Yes, one of my personal bugbears. There's a particularly fine example in one episode of Vikings, where the English take up an excellent defensive position in the narrow gap between two buildings, hold there for a second or two, and then charge the attacking Norsemen. And of course get completely slaughtered . . .

FierceKitty

Olivier looks good,but he's no actor; if you pay attention, it's clear he doesn't understand the lines half the time.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

flamingpig0

'The Flashing Blade' shown on  70sBBC kids tv Saturday morning and of course '300 Spartans'
"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James

fsn

Heedless Horseman

04 May 2019, 01:28:04 AM #28 Last Edit: 04 May 2019, 01:55:56 AM by Heedless Horseman
Too many to mention in teens/early 20's...in later years, often begun but not finished!  :(
However...SOME that have not been started...Yet....  :o
Book: 'Eagle In The Snow', Wallace Breem...the end of the Rhine frontier and Rome. Still thinking...and hope to keep on 'just thinking' !!!
Books: Conn Iggulden's Mongolian series. Too many figures!!!
That 1970's TV mini series about a shipwrecked Brit in Shogunate Japan...was it 'Shogun'? Too much detail to paint Samurai, (but in my teens, Lady Mariko was a 'Wow'!).   ;)
Books: George MacDonald Fraser: 'The Candlemass Road'...skirmish in the Borders. (This actually re-started my interest in wargaming stuff, post 'Smoking Ban'  >:(  as I remembered that I had a couple of boxes of Revell 1/72 GNW/Conquistador figs that 'might' be converted/painted up? (Never done!)   ...which led to ...ECW 20mm, 10mm... and an ENORMOUS load of cash on just about everything!!!  :'( :'( :'(  )
Ditto GMF 'Flashman' for Crimea and Indian Mutiny.
Etc.
Just remembered,  Books: Colin Wingate:' Submarine/Frigate/Carrier'...Cold War Naval early 80's...need BIG table!!!  ;D ;D
It would be nice to actually finish a project...but, (I suspect)...that I might just 'shut down' on completion!!!   :o ;D
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

Heedless Horseman

04 May 2019, 01:35:26 AM #29 Last Edit: 04 May 2019, 01:37:19 AM by Heedless Horseman
Quote from: flamingpig0 on 03 May 2019, 05:20:24 PM
'The Flashing Blade' shown on  70sBBC kids tv Saturday morning and of course '300 Spartans'
Oh dear...here it comes...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KYWOFo6SFM

:d :d :d
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)