Unit nametags

Started by rangerdad, 20 March 2019, 10:46:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rangerdad

Does anyone fix unit names on the rear of their stands ?

I've seen it on 6mm figure bases where the entire unit is based on a single stand, which got me thinking of close order movement trays with an extra section at the rear for the unit name and one of Leon's dice holders

Anyone use something like this or am I daydreaming   8-> ?

Ithoriel

I use name/ ID tags on lots of my stuff. What you suggest sounds perfectly normal to me.

Several of the members of the forum use something similar to what you suggest.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Techno

Do you mean the type that paulr adds to his bases, RD ?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree ? :-\

http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,17480.msg275070.html#msg275070

Cheers - Phil

jimduncanuk

My Ego forbids a signature.

Nick the Lemming

Yes. For my old Maurice basing, I have thin strips of paper glued to the back of the base, since they're 3mm bases, but for my latest project (Age of Hannibal), where I want to use the same bases to portray several different units (some may be Balearic Slingers who are better, others are simply slingers, for example, or some are Roman-allied Gauls, and others are Punic-allied Celts), I have a thin strip of magnetic receptive sheet stuck to the back end of the base, and labels on magnetic sheet that I can fix in place.

The gap at the end there is for another small magnetic piece, showing their current status (fine, disordered, or well f***ed).

fred.

Yes, I've done this for FKaP and for Rommel Rules.

I've started to avoid white backgrounds so that the labels aren't so stark on the table. Really helps players knowing the units, and gives the simple stats right there on the unit. Can work well with sabot bases too.

I've done mine on plain paper then use a glue stick (prit stick) to glue them down which lets them get removed easily enough
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

mollinary

Yes, I have labels on the back of my FK&P bases colour coded dor army and brigade, and with the name and key characteristics of the unit. Whenever I am doing a big game for players unfamiliar with armies/period I will always label troops to avoid delays during the game.
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Steve J

For Bloody Big Battles, I have separate labels for units, with the stats on to make the game flow better. Ditto FK&P etc.

rangerdad

Yet again my thanks for reassuring me I'm not going daft - well not completely

Those photos are inspiring, I hadn't thought of using magnetic strips (and I have a sheet in my 'could come in handy oneday' box)

Mug of tea and a browse through Paul R' s ECW project thread required !

FierceKitty

I label mine under the bases.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Ithoriel

Never understood the writing of details under the base. Surely you either need to see the details during the game or you don't need them labelled?

I'd view any gamer constantly picking up bases "to check the ID" with great suspicion. I'd want to check how many sixes their dice had and how stretchy their ruler was!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Duke Speedy of Leighton

For Franco Prussian, yes
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

I glue a permanent label on and use three small bits of blue tack to attach temporary labels over them if required

I've settled on dark blue and dark green backgrounds for the labels as it clearly shows the two sides but doesn't stand out too much

We find clearly identifying the command structure (coloured boxes) and having key stats on the base speeds and simplifies play

Enjoy your tea Rangerdad ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Dr Dave

Quote from: Ithoriel on 20 March 2019, 04:33:29 PM
Never understood the writing of details under the base. Surely you either need to see the details during the game or you don't need them labelled?

Yep, never understood labels. If you need labels the figures are too small or too few surely. Plus they do detract from the scenic look of a nice playing surface and a decently sculpted and flocked base.

Ithoriel

I use labels regularly. Especially useful when playing with others who are not familiar with either the rules or the period.

It's a game, not a diorama, and labels often help move the game along.

Currently playing Cruel Seas with a group who can barely tell a landing craft from a langoustine so labels help them tell ships apart.