Unit nametags

Started by rangerdad, 20 March 2019, 10:46:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmcv

I've been playing with using magnetic stripes as well to change the labels and stats for the different games or oobs. Currently using magnetic bases on metal paper movement trays with space at the back for label, though will add it straight to the base for any single base projects.

Will be much handier than cross referencing a sheet all the time, especially with less familiar rules or units.

FierceKitty

Quote from: Ithoriel on 20 March 2019, 04:33:29 PM
Never understood the writing of details under the base. Surely you either need to see the details during the game or you don't need them labelled?

I'd view any gamer constantly picking up bases "to check the ID" with great suspicion. I'd want to check how many sixes their dice had and how stretchy their ruler was!

There are times when you need to know if this unit is seasoned or veteran (may be randomised before each game); and for that matter I have played opponents who couldn't be counted on to remember what side a unit was on, or in extreme cases whether it was composed of pikemen or horse archers.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Nick the Lemming

Quote from: Dr Dave on 20 March 2019, 08:12:51 PM
Yep, never understood labels. If you need labels the figures are too small or too few surely. Plus they do detract from the scenic look of a nice playing surface and a decently sculpted and flocked base.

My Balearic Slingers use the same figures as my Slingers, but the former are better than the latter. My Principes and Hastati are equipped similarly, but again have different stats. My African Spearmen and my African Veteran Spearmen look very similar. By using labels, all players can see which is which. It has nothing to do with the size of figures or how many there are.

John Cook

21 March 2019, 01:41:23 AM #18 Last Edit: 21 March 2019, 01:45:55 AM by John Cook
Yes, I label mine - just the unit name on the top, at the rear, on the command base, repeated underneath with more detail.   I use printable white stick-on labels which I varnish for durability before dressing the bases.

e.g   Top Rear:             14th (Price's) Foot                            Underneath:          10. 14th (Price's) Regiment of Foot
                                                                                                                    304 Experienced Infantry
                                                                                                                    3 Elements
                                                                                                                    Musket, Bayonets, Swords

fsn

I don't label mine - except for 1:3000 ships.

For things like Napoleonics, I know what the unit is by the standards, facings etc. Where there are irregulars, I will put something in that means I can always recognise which unit is which. For example, the middle chap carries a blue shield. Thus that is the "blue shield" unit. The overall irregular effect is maintained, but to the trained eye it is easy to spot who's who.

Early on, I did differentiate WWII platoos and sections by colour. I've largely moved away from this as I don't seem to have problems tracking who's who.   

Although I do admire some of the labelling I've seen, as a solo gamer it's rather icing the pineapple.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Dr Dave

Whilst I accept labels can help identify units where memory fails - they never add to the visual appeal of the game.

I used to have problems telling PzIIIH from PzIIIJ in 6mm. To avoid using labels I switched to 10mm where the difference is more apparent.

Chris Pringle

Unit nametags can be very helpful, and aesthetically they can actually be positive rather than negative. Eg rather than just chugging out a bald black and white nametag, use well chosen suitable colours, and embellish with an appropriate flag or coat of arms.

Having said that, the trade-off is the effort of creating and applying them. Personally that is precious time I'd rather spend doing something else. For my games I let the figures do the work, making sure that different units are easy to identify by means of other visual cues such as command bases, uniforms, poses, etc - which can be easier to recognise from 6 feet away than reading a label. Works for me.

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/

mollinary

21 March 2019, 04:53:19 PM #22 Last Edit: 21 March 2019, 05:00:08 PM by Leon
I don't think they have to be particularly obtrusive. The following two pics (which Leon has kindly agreed to insert into this post) show what I mean. The first shows a unit of Scots Covenanter infantry, with all the info needed for FK&P. The label is printed on card and then laminated, and glued to the underside of the sabot. This is easy to remove and replace if I wish to use the sabot for ankther unt/battle. The second photo shows my recent replay of Marston Moor in play. As you can see the labels are not exactly intruding into the overall look of the thing - indeed it is impossible to see the labels of the opposing side at all!

2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Techno

That looks rather impressive, M.  :-bd

Cheers - Phil

Dr Dave

Agreed, it does look good. But that's because I can't see the labels.

No one has ever modelled a battle and then thought it would look better with labels. They're a compromise twixt visual appeal and playability.

mollinary

Quote from: Dr Dave on 21 March 2019, 07:20:27 PM
Agreed, it does look good. But that's because I can't see the labels.

No one has ever modelled a battle and then thought it would look better with labels. They're a compromise twixt visual appeal and playability.

Agreed, Dave, but that is the point. It is possible to have labels, with all the easy to use info they contain, withiut having a major impact on your visual pleasure!
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

I guess it may depend on how you think about what you are doing.

I don't think I've ever "modelled a battle" I've played a games based on military history.

Maybe the point of view matters?
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

grahambeyrout

I do not use labels. While recognizing their undeniable usefulness, I feel uneasy at their use. I feel it reduces figures to the status of playing pieces, and I wonder why bother to paint and collect figures to play what effectively is a board game. To me, I  feel I might as well use cardboard pieces with a name and combat statistics in the style of the Avalon Hill board games. I sense that games are becoming more and more abstract, - the increasing use of wargame terrain marked with square or hexagonal grids is an example. I am not criticizing those who use this approach - after all its a personal choice.

paulr

I'm not sure how having the stats for a unit on a label rather than on a roster sheet or in the rule book make the figures any more or less a 'playing piece' :-\

While I understand the desire not to intrude on the visual impact of a game, carefully done labels can greatly assist the flow of the game and increase the players immersion in the battle/game

In the end we all get to play our games the way we like
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

GrumpyOldMan

Hello

You can use printable envelope labels, which are freely available, sticky and (usually) easy to remove from bases, also handy for standards too.

Cheer

GrumpyOldMan