Army Pack - Standardised or Points?

Started by Leon, 20 March 2019, 12:47:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you prefer your ready-made army packs to contain standardised contents or be built to a points value?

Standardised please!
25 (92.6%)
Points for me!
2 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Dave

Hurry up and decide I have to cast them :o :o :o :o

sultanbev

Standardised packs is the way to go, doing anything related to points or OOB is going to be a nightmare adminstratively.

Mark

T-Square

Since these will be starter packs standardized is the way to go.  Like a good cocaine dealer, give them a 'taste.'  Once you got them hooked, they are yours forever.   :d

Fenton

Standard packs would be my preference
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

hobbittomm

Standardised.... but also battle packs with both sides based on points as lures.

Orcs

Quote from: hobbittomm on 24 March 2019, 11:51:02 AM
Standardised.... but also battle packs with both sides based on points as lures.

You were given the option - Standard OR points not both.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Itinerant Hobbyist

Quote from: Matt J on 20 March 2019, 09:58:53 AM
Standardised

but... why not offer a starter bundle - 1 rule book 2 equally matched starter armies say NW europe 1944 - Brits/Yanks V Germans (1000/1500pts) with mdf bases and maybe some buildings and a bit of a discount.  (look at warlords bolt action starter set)

lure people in so they become hopeless addicts like the rest of us  :)

Vote for this

hobbittomm

Quote from: Orcs on 24 March 2019, 08:41:44 PM
You were given the option - Standard OR points not both.

In general I think standardised. But a battle in a box (2 armies, rules and base terrain) lets you hook people easier.

Astronomican

28 March 2019, 01:33:25 PM #24 Last Edit: 28 March 2019, 01:59:28 PM by Astronomican
I've never found army packs to be suitable for my armies - they are always based on someone else's thoughts on what an army should look like. Whilst this is fine when an army is following a historical TO&E, BKC's "open" army lists don't lend to it.

As for the idea to get people into BKC you could do a third option. Provide a discount coupon with every BKC book (real and pdf versions), so that newbies to BKC can order what they want and get "an introductory one-time only offer" for doing so.

Jimi

Leon

Quote from: hobbittomm on 27 March 2019, 01:53:02 PM
In general I think standardised. But a battle in a box (2 armies, rules and base terrain) lets you hook people easier.

We've got some ideas along these lines so we'll have a look at this once the rules are launched.

Quote from: Astronomican on 28 March 2019, 01:33:25 PM
As for the idea to get people into BKC you could do a third option. Provide a discount coupon with every BKC book (real and pdf versions), so that newbies to BKC can order what they want and get "an introductory one-time only offer" for doing so.

That's an interesting idea, I'll have a think about that.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

ColCampbell

Getting into this debate a little late, but if I were starting from scratch, I think I would prefer a standardized unit pack.  I tend not to play "tournament" style games but structure my forces about a real-world TO&E.  That's what I've done with my 6mm 1941/1942 Western Desert forces.

Jim
Jim

"And all will turn to silver glass
 A light on the water
 Grey ships pass into the west."

Itinerant Hobbyist

Quote from: Astronomican on 28 March 2019, 01:33:25 PM
Jimi

I vote this method as well as standard packs - make it as easy as possible for them to get minis on the table.