And Now to the Brits - washing and OOB planning

Started by Itinerant Hobbyist, 19 March 2019, 05:04:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

I bet that not everybody gives the figures a wash before painting !

I have to admit that I often forget to wash the dollies when I'm slapping the putty on them....Which is why the green stuff doesn't stick to the white metal properly !

Good for you IH. :)

Cheers - Phil

petercooman

Quote from: Techno on 19 March 2019, 07:03:29 AM
I bet that not everybody gives the figures a wash before painting !

I never do. I find that it really depends on what you are using as primer. Some just stick better than others!

Techno

I'll let myself off, with the 'non washing' approach.....Most of the time I 'Dremmel' the dollies to make them a bit thinner...So I tend to work on 'clean' white metal.  :D

Cheers - Phil

fsn

Quote from: Techno on 19 March 2019, 09:54:49 AM
I'll let myself off, with the 'non washing' approach.....
Yes, there have been complaints.

Quote from: Techno on 19 March 2019, 09:54:49 AM
Most of the time I 'Dremmel' the dollies
Still illegal in 13 US States, including Florida and Missouri.

When we talk "washing", do we mean under the tap, or with a diluted ink?

I don't wash figures, because they've come from Pendraken so never been touched by human hands, and I've never had a problem with them once primed.

If we're talking diluted ink ... or speciality products from Games Workshop like Dead Starfish Brown, or Hitler's Heart Black ... then I have tried undercoating white then washing black; I've tried undercoating black (grey or brown) then dry brushing white. I prefer the fromer to the latter, but the darker colours are (IMnot soHO) more suitable for some fihgures - e.g. mail clad.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Westmarcher

Funnily enough, I always wash resin buildings first but it's never crossed my mind to wash my Pendraken Miniatures. Not to say there has been no preparation work involved - e.g., levelling the underneath of bases, evening up the effects of the odd misaligned moulding, removing flash, removing the 'feeder line' under horses' bellies or filling in large "air pockets" in the odd figure. I think my oldest Pendraken miniatures are at least 15 years old now and I have not suffered any problems.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

fred.

I don't wash metal figures routinely. Occasionally if a certain pack seems to have stuff on them I'll give them a wash, but this is very rare.

I do wash resin before priming though.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Raider4

I've always rinsed-off plastic kits under the tap before assembling. Never occurred to me to do the same to metal figs.

Techno

Quote from: fsn on 19 March 2019, 12:30:49 PM

When we talk "washing", do we mean under the tap, or with a diluted ink?

Under the tap, with a tiny spot of washing up liquid and a VERY old, wee, paintbrush, Nobby.

There's often a tiny coating of the 'releasing agent' on the metal figures (Talcum powder, or similar) which can mean the green stuff won't stick to the figure.
Like I said above, if I'm working on a new figure from a dolly, I usually don't need to do this....But the odd conversions or repairs to a metal master I do....It's a good idea to wash them first....But I usually forget, to start with.  :-[.....Which means there's a lot of harsh language. :D

Cheers - Phil ;)

steve_holmes_11

I make a point of not washing in the 6 months leading up to a wargame show.  ;)

lowlylowlycook

I definitely wash metal and especially resin but not always plastic.

Orcs

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 19 March 2019, 05:30:34 PM
I make a point of not washing in the 6 months leading up to a wargame show.  ;)

While this was placed as a joke, while helping Steve Barber at Salute a couple of Years ago, his sister came along to help and one of her comments was "quite a few of the wargamers have an aroma about them"  :D
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Orcs

I never considered washing metal figures, despite them being handled a fair bit to take of tidy up bases and take of flash etc.

I always was plastic and resin kits or figures  giving them a gentle scrub with an old toothbrush and some washing up liquid, then a good rinse.

The Dystopian wars resin from the now defunct Spartan games was a real b*gger needing a good soak in hot water, a two scrubs with toothbrush and washing up liquid.

There are many other figures I would like to wash........ Karen Gillan, Emily Blunt, Caroline Catz.  :d :d

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Only ever washed soft plastic figures, in luke warm water with a very small amount of washing up liquid. Think I ought to wash resin hulls from Cruel Seas as well, but tend to just slap on more paint.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Itinerant Hobbyist

It's a pain, so I will skip it next time and see what happens.