Christchurch shooting

Started by Steve J, 15 March 2019, 07:02:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve J

Yep, utter despair at present :(.

Ithoriel

"An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" :(
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

Quote from: Ithoriel on 18 March 2019, 01:31:18 PM
"An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" :(

Cc the human race.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Sandinista

It has been a little odd here in Auckland. I lived and worked in London during the IRA's campaigns of the late 80s & 90s, being evacuated more than once due to bomb scares. I thought I had become somewhat inured to it all, even when the office I worked at in Hackney received a suspect package, it seemed like nothing too unusual. But this weeks events have hit me harder than any of that ever did. Maybe because I am older, maybe it's because our little pacific bubble has been burst and were right back in the middle of the sh*t that was London. My wife's office was evacuated the other day, apparently TVNZ had received a bomb threat.
This is not the kind of society I wish to live in
"Casual racism" is a term that you hear used a lot, many people don't like the term but it is rife in New Zealand. In the press, on the radio even the Deputy PM - perhaps not so casual from him though. These events have made me think about comments you hear people make and ignore. At the last club day I was at in February, a couple of the guys made some remarks, perhaps they thought they were jokes, about "muslim bombers" as well as later referring to "lazy Maoris", the usual ignorant stereotypical comments the right wing press is full of. I chose to ignore them, I'm still relatively new at the club,I didn't want to create a scene... Not anymore, I think silence encourages ignorance, I will be challenging bigots wherever I meet them. If that causes me to lose a few "friends" then so what?
The society I want to live in is one where ignorance and bigotry do not prosper, and I will do what I can to try to achieve that.

Cheers
Ian

Techno

Nicely put, Ian.

You don't need friends like that anyway.

Cheers - Phil.

FierceKitty

We used to have a gamer at my club in Cape Town who was so racist we suspected he'd been asked to leave the KKK for his views. He was also a doddery old duffer that nobody had the heart to tell off. Awkward.

jimduncanuk

Who wants a bigot for a friend.
My Ego forbids a signature.

FierceKitty

You mean the Doctor, do you?