BKC Bootcamp - 15th June 2019

Started by Shedman, 24 March 2019, 09:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Insect

Hi Paul

Yes - still going ahead. Be with us at the Tudor Arms 9.00 for 09.30 start.

More details on games will appear shortly - but we have a 6mm Eastern Front game to join in, along with a 15mm Western Desert game and also a 10mm game (I cannot remember where & what) and there might be others.

I will be there ... and if you bring along your rules set I will happily sign it  ;D ;D ;D  :d

Mark

PS: "you ain't seen me .. roight!"
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Big Insect

In fact Paul - I'll specifically build in a Recce & Recce Support aspect to the Western Desert Game.

Looking forward to seeing you

Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

T13A

Hi Mark

That's great. It's looking like nearly a 2 hour journey from where I am down in Somerset, so will get there as soon as I can.

I'll bring a pen as well ;)

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

AJ at the Bank

Going to try and make it.
Not that far from Cheltenham    :D
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Big Insect

All welcome ... no matter how far they travel  ;D

T13A

Hi Mark

I'm looking forward to meeting you on Saturday as well. Just for information, virtually all of my BKC games have been played solo; for some reason or other, I simply cannot get the small group of gamers I play with interested in WWII (I know it's sad). Hence I have to rely on what is actually written in the rule book and on the forum for any clarification needed (and I must admit to finding it difficult to completely follow some of the more 'technical' threads on the forum so far). As said in other posts I'm very much in the camp that was just hoping for some clarification to certain bits in BKC-II that were, to me a least, ambiguous or could do with a bit more explanation, rather than a whole load of new rules.

As well as the stuff on 'Recce' I'm hoping for some clarity on the visibility rules. I always thought the rules regarding visibility (who can see what and when) difficult to understand (again not helped by having to play solo). Unfortunately (from my point of view) the rules around visibility seem to be more or less a simple 'copy and paste' from BKC-II which doesn't help with my understanding of them.

Example (from the rule book):
•   High Area Terrain Example on page 10, "It (an infantry unit) continues to the far edge of the terrain, where it has to stop again. As it is still in the wood, visibility and cover are again counted as if it is fully in the wood, however the unit's own vision is not impaired by the wood".
•   Then, under High Area Terrain on page 14, "LOS (line of sight) is limited to 5cm into, through or out (my emphasis) of high area terrain where observer and the target both have Low profiles......".
•   And under Concealed Troops on page 15:
Concealed troops can only be seen when:
    •   An enemy unit is within 10cm of troops with a Low profile or within 20cm of troops with an Average profile.

So, at what distance can an infantry unit (that has not fired or moved) on the edge of high area terrain be seen by another infantry unit? Now I appreciate that the rules on visibility might be crystal clear (pun intended) to you and other play testers and that I am missing something obvious, but from the way I am reading the rules I'm simply confused. Hopefully this is the kind of thing we can clear up on Saturday.

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

T13A

Hi

Just wanted to say thanks to Mark, Alan and the others for organising the bootcamp today it was good to meet you all.
Shame about all my artillery landing on my own sides troops! Sorry Alan.

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

Shedman

16 June 2019, 10:24:55 AM #22 Last Edit: 16 June 2019, 11:06:31 AM by Shedman
Some photos of one of the two  games at the 1st BKC Bootcamp

This was Scenario 2 - Assault using 15mm Spanish Civil War

The Nationalists had to capture the  Graveyard   from the Republicans within 8 turns which they failed to do

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6re6Y61JYP3NUaRs6

The other game was 6mm Eastern Front 1943 which I didn't get round to taking photos of  

Thanks to all who attended especially Paul, Adam and Roman

Alan

Big Insect

17 June 2019, 03:23:31 PM #23 Last Edit: 17 June 2019, 03:33:44 PM by Big Insect
Well ... we hosted our first BCKIV Bootcamp on Saturday 15th June and it appears to have been a great success.

We had 9 attendees over the course of the day - some stayed longer than others, but we had a hard core of 7 playing the 2 games through to completion.

Game 1 was a 6mm Russian Front game with 4 players (put on by Gordon), whilst the 2nd game with 3 players was a 15mm Spanish Civil War scenario.

I gather a Battle Report may be forthcoming on the Spanish Civil War game, as the photos taken by Al show the game off very well. I particulary like those aerial Stuka shots Al.
However, the 6mm game was so intense and closely fought that I think the photographic evidence is unfortunately lacking.

In the SCW game I played the Republicans, defending against a concerted Nationalist attack, with the town graveyard as the Nationalist objective (the Nationalist were played by Paul and Al). The game came close to a Nationalist win, but in the last game turn the heroic (posthumous) actions of a lone Republican MG unit and FAO seriously dented a massed Nationalist advance that threatened to roll up the Republican right flank, leaving the way to the graveyard clear. The dual between the single (on-table) Republican artillery piece and 3 nationalist guns, ended with 2 of the nationalist guns destroyed. But all 3 Republican tanks were knocked out either with artillery fire or from Nationalist Stuka attacks.
A great game Al - thanks for putting it on.

Thank's also to: Gordon, Roman, Rodger, Mark, Paul, Al, Steve, Mike and AJ for your attendance and active participation. We couldn't have done it without you.

We'll most certainly do this again next year - hopefully a 2 day event, like our FWC Bootcamp. I'll see if we can plan a date well in advance and will keep you posted.

Cheers
Mark