LOA French Artillery Fatigue caps

Started by abikapi2, 10 March 2019, 10:45:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abikapi2

10 March 2019, 10:45:03 PM Last Edit: 10 March 2019, 10:46:44 PM by abikapi2
Hi,

I'm working to my really nice French LOA Artillery.

Some of the artillerymen have large caps, like infantry or cavalry, but a couple of poses have "fatigue cap".

Does anybody knows whats the right color of this fatigue cap for French?

Thank You
Stefano

DHautpol

I've had a quick look in the P&SS book on French Dragoons, Militia and Artillery by Robert Hall & Yves Roumegoux.  There are no illustrations showing the forage cap/stocking cap and I could see nothing about them in the text either.  Therefore, given that Hall and Roumegoux have been very thorough, I suspect that the details are unknown.

I painted mine with a blue headband and red bag (I think this is technically described as a red cap lined blue with the blue lining turned up when worn).  However, they might equally have been a blue headband and grey bag or all grey with red or blue lace or some other combination.

The figure who appears to be wearing a woolly knitted hat was painted with a natural wool colour.
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2018 Painting Competition - 3 x Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

abikapi2

Terry37

In checking Hall, Allen and Grant, I fond no reference to any artillery wearing a forage cap. However, if I were to use such figures, red and blue would be my guess too as that at least corresponds ot the facings and stockings.

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams