The care & nurture of a 3d printer...

Started by Wulf, 10 March 2019, 03:46:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Quote from: GrumpyOldMan on 26 April 2019, 11:18:38 PM
Hello Phil
There are places that have free shields available but you'd have to play with them to get the thicknesses right and while some look ok in render the actual 3d model is horrible.
https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-model/free/shield
https://free3d.com/3d-models/shield
https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=shield&dwh=915cc383670864c
Cheers
GrumpyOldMan

Thanks, Vic !

Cheers - Phil

Wulf

You want Dragon's Teeth you say? How many? Lots? How about 28 sets? It'll take about 7 hours...

Note: this is a posed pic, I meant to take it to show the capacity of the build plate, but then started scraping them off the plate before I realised. So... I posed them all back in place...

Wulf

You can print Cruel Seas boats on an FDM printer, so long as you're prepared to accept a bit of simplification...

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

lowlylowlycook

Wulf

I've been experimenting with PETG, a different type of filament. It's the stuff drinks bottles & the like are made of, more resilient than PLA (actually they're PET, and moulded, not printed with filament, of course). PETG is kind of the home printing version of PET, and includes manufacturers' extra ingredients to make it easier to use - but also makes it inconsistent. It needs a higher temperature to print, and, well, I'm not impressed. Very stringy so far. Undoubtedly strong prints, mind you, so useful for things like containers, boardgame items, etc - stuff that takes a lot of handling.

...however...

IN checking out some details about 3d printing materials, I have discovered that, despite my belief, I have NOT been printing with PLA, but with a mix of PLA and PLA+... PLA+ is an improved formula, although, like PETG, it's not a consistent formula between manufacturers. It turns out my preferred filament, the SUNLU Silver Grey stuff, is actually PLA+... I didn't even notice until now! It's still not as tough or flexible as PETG, but it's easier to use and way less stringy...

Well, apparently the eSUN PLA+ is even better, so I ordered some of that.

andys

Just before I shoot off to the daughter's wedding, a huge thanks to Wulf. He is a scholar and a gentleman 👍👍👍👍

Wulf

Quote from: andys on 04 May 2019, 10:18:57 AM
Just before I shoot off to the daughter's wedding, a huge thanks to Wulf. He is a scholar and a gentleman 👍👍👍👍
I do impressions.  8)

Best wishes to the couple & family.  :-*

paulr

Westmarcher

Likewise (i.e., hope it went well - including your 'father of the bride' speech  :) ).  My turn tomorrow (Sunday) ....... my  daughter's wedding also!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

paulr

Best of luck as well Westmarcher, remember be on your best behaviour ;)

Techno

Best wishes to all.  :-bd

Cheers - Phil

sunjester

Good luck to all!

And thanks again Wulf for a really interesting thread.

Wulf

Still printing, no interesting developments until now. I was asked to print a Taj Mahal for a work colleague, so here it is, but for myself I tried some character miniatures, Dungeons & Dragons style. They're meant to be printed about 32mm tall, but I rescaled them down to 25mm...

With tree support from the baseplate, the figures worked out well. I've changed to this yellow eSUN PLA+, which feels a bit... soapy? compared to the SUNLU grey stuff, but does seem to be excellent for print quality & strength.

Wulf

How small can you actually print a recognisable tank? How about 1:600 scale?