Space 1999 - a blast from the past

Started by Steve J, 09 March 2019, 09:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve J

Just discovered that Forces TV are running the early episodes of Space 1999 :). This used to be essential viewing (on a Sunday?) when we were kids and I loved all the models, especially the Eagle transporters and the external shots of the moonbase.  Funnily enough my wife used to watch this at some point in Nigeria, again on a Sunday. Small World eh?

jimduncanuk

I've been watching UFO and Space 1999 on Youtube while painting figures.
My Ego forbids a signature.

Norm

HMV have the newly released re-mastered UFO on their shelves,which I have picked up and put down several, does it still stand the test of time?

Steve J

Well, Space 1999 still looks great, but my wife was laughing at the flared trousers and high heeled shoes (well we think they were but hard to see under the flares :D). As for UFO, I did see part of an episode a few years ago, which was a bit cringe making to watch. Very much of its time but not sure if it's aged well. However the UFO vehicle still looked good and the Dinky toy was great, with its flip up lid that held that great missile that fired really well :).

FierceKitty

Anyone notice the commander is in North by North-West?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno

Sometimes there seems to be a very small pool of actors (both male and female) that appear in TV and films.

I've been watching old episodes of the X files recently, and playing 'spot who's appeared in episodes on the different NCIS series'

Quite a lot.....And agent Dogget was the naughty terminator in Terminator 2. (Though not as young as he appeared in that....There's a surprise.)

Cheers - Phil

Westmarcher

Quote from: FierceKitty on 10 March 2019, 08:46:23 AM
Anyone notice the commander is in North by North-West?
Oh, yes. Noticed that the first time round (although, to be fair, I believe I am older than you) plus the fact that the professor was Lt. Gerard, the pursuing policeman, in that early media incarnation of the Les Miserables chase plot, the 1960's(?) TV series, The Fugitive.   :-B
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Leman

There is an older Japanese/Chinese American actor who crops up regularly in Netflix and Amazon series.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

FierceKitty

Thank Heavens, we've almost finished season two of Space 1999. Barbara Bain really couldn't out-act Lady Penelope, the commander's smile looks like a shark's at the dentist's, and there's a deplorable lack of nude scenes by Zenia Merton. This before we get on to the "science" and scripting!

Ithoriel

Quote from: FierceKitty on 29 April 2019, 05:16:08 AM
there's a deplorable lack of nude scenes by Zenia Merton.

Unlike the 1971 production of Casanova with Frank Finlay in the lead. :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Raider4

I remember enjoying this when it was first shown and I was 9 or 10.

But even then I thought the premise stupid. Even then I knew that you'd never get the Moon moving fast enough to travel between solar systems.

Generally thought the tech looked good, and the model making is excellent.

Loved the Eagle - brilliant design. But then they went and spoiled it by using in planetary atmospheres. Again, my junior self knew this was stupid. The Eagle is obviously designed for extra-atmospheric work.

Never saw the seconds series. HTV never screened it. Apparently a lot changed. Tellingly, the FWC rulebook includes a section at the end for "films you may find inspirational", and includes "Space 1999 1st TV series".

Raider4

Quote from: FierceKitty on 29 April 2019, 05:16:08 AM
Barbara Bain really couldn't out-act Lady Penelope

Genuine LOL  ;D! Nice one.

FierceKitty

Quote from: Ithoriel on 29 April 2019, 02:43:11 PM
Unlike the 1971 production of Casanova with Frank Finlay in the lead. :)

Yes, that must get a bit of attention soon.

Cross698

I still have the UFO interceptor, but minus the rocket and the SHADO Tracked Assault wagon. Always wondered why the Aliens didn't attack with 4 UFOs when Moonbase only ever seemed to have 3 interceptors!

Heedless Horseman

Of that era...you can get 'The Flashing Blade' on DVD...I did, but couldn't get past Ep.1!  ;D
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)