Space 1999 - a blast from the past

Started by Steve J, 09 March 2019, 09:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider4

Forces TV (channel 96 on Freeview) has started showing Blake's Seven .

It has not aged well . . .

The BBC special effects dept. of 1978 are doing their best, but obviously have next to no money to spend.

The scripting and plotting are . . . not great.

I'd forgotten how awesome the Liberator looks, mind.

Steve J

Does Servalan still look good though ;) :D?

Techno II

Quote from: Raider4 on 16 September 2021, 09:42:53 PM
Forces TV (channel 96 on Freeview) has started showing Blake's Seven .
The BBC special effects dept. of 1978 are doing their best, but obviously have next to no money to spend.

I'm pretty certain I remember Gareth Thomas, who played Blake, complaining that Star Trek spent more on a coffee break than the Beeb spent on an entire series of Blake's Seven. ;D ;D

Cheers - Phil. :)

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Even then the special effects in Star Trek were pretty bad. And why did they never fit seat belts to the bridge chairs ?
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

FierceKitty

17 September 2021, 07:51:49 AM #19 Last Edit: 17 September 2021, 07:53:36 AM by FierceKitty
Perhaps the script writers noticed that with the forces involved in FTL travel, time jumps, novas, shockwaves able to travel in a vacuum, and weapons on a matching scale, seatbelts would be like wrapping a polystyrene cup in tin foil before chucking it into a volcano. The margin between instant annihilation and being completely in control would realistically be so slight that the directors' favourite shower of sparks, lights go red, everyone falls over, Mr Spock says "interesting", Lootenant Uhura kneels in concern beside the prone figures of Ensigns Kenny and Bluebottle, and the captain orders the auxiliary power to be turned on scene just wouldn't happen. Of course, the script made better science but dull TV, and was ignored.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

hammurabi70

Quote from: Steve J on 16 September 2021, 09:45:25 PM
Does Servalan still look good though ;) :D?

Tricky to respond too; she died in 2018.

flamingpig0

Space 1999 scared the crap out of me as a kid whilst the Flashing Blade started a long love affair with pike and shot wargaming.
"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James

Steve J

Ah 'The Flashing Blade', what a great intro and theme music and IIRC, was on during the school summer holidays, along with Robinson Crusoe. Both essential viewing as a kid :).

Heedless Horseman

Quote from: Steve J on 26 September 2021, 07:49:20 AM
Ah 'The Flashing Blade', what a great intro and theme music and IIRC, was on during the school summer holidays, along with Robinson Crusoe. Both essential viewing as a kid :).
Bought it on DVD but I only lasted one episode. 'Might' revisit...  ;)  Did keep replaying the intro, though!  ;D
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

Steve J

I'm sure the acting and storylines leave at lot to be desired compared to modern offerings, but that intro you've just got to love! I think this led to my enduring love for the morion style helmet :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5Sb9AoirSU&ab_channel=NiallWilliams

Raider4

Quote from: Steve J on 26 September 2021, 07:49:20 AM

I remember starting to watch it multiple times, and yes it looked exciting and different. I seem to recall I never finished. Somewhere in the middle it bogged right down, when the hero (heroes?) hide in a travelling circus and then nothing seemed to happen?

(These are very vague memories from over 40 years ago, so I may have it completely wrong)

According to the internet/wikipedia, there was some sort of audio/dubbing problem with the last episode anyway?

Heedless Horseman

27 September 2021, 09:25:41 AM #26 Last Edit: 27 September 2021, 10:06:33 AM by Heedless Horseman
Quote from: Steve J on 27 September 2021, 06:57:41 AM
I'm sure the acting and storylines leave at lot to be desired compared to modern offerings, but that intro you've just got to love! I think this led to my enduring love for the morion style helmet :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5Sb9AoirSU&ab_channel=NiallWilliams

Damn it. You Just Had to, didn't you!  LOL!
Strangely, the servant 'Guillot?' looks 'more 'at home' on galloping horse than the Chevallier.. whose legs flap all over the place... might just be me!  ;D
Agree about Morion... just 'fits'.
Canon and 'Bangs', lol!
Raider... from FIFTY yrs ago+, it did seem to Bog... and pos memory of Harlequin costume... which I Hate.. . suppose I WILL have to watch again, sometime!   ;D

Oh well... LOL!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_Vh8JJR1OQ

Incidentally, think 'Robinson Crusoe' theme became a popular Med 'Clubbing' remix! They wouldn't have been Born!   ;D
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

Big Insect

Quote from: Leman on 10 March 2019, 01:27:06 PM
There is an older Japanese/Chinese American actor who crops up regularly in Netflix and Amazon series.

Actually he's that young cop from R.I.P.D - you just have to keep an eye out for his blonde bombshell of a partner  ;D
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Leman

Flippin 'eck, I thought Raider meant he was watching Casanova when he was 9 or 10. Very progressive parents!
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

It was a topic of disscussion in the Sixth Form Centre, wonder why !
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021