BBB Bash Day, Oxford UK, Sunday 12 May 2019

Started by Chris Pringle, 08 March 2019, 01:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Pringle

I am pleased to announce the next BBB Bash Day will be held at Wolvercote Village Hall, Oxford, UK on Sunday 12 May 2019. This will offer a rich menu of participation games using the "Bloody Big BATTLES!" rules or variants based on BBB. Scheduled games are likely to include:

English Civil War - Edgehill and possibly Cropredy Bridge or Winceby
American War of Independence - Germantown
Hungary 1849 - the three battles of Komarom
Italian War of 1859 - Montebello, Palestro, Magenta
ACW - Gettysburg (all three days, with beautiful custom terrain)
Boer War - probably Colenso
WWI - Dunsterforce at Baku (run by a descendant of the general!)
Another ACW or WWI battle, to be determined

Anyone who turns up is welcome to participate in the games, and we will endeavor to accommodate all players so far as is possible. Obviously it will help us plan if we know you are coming, so if you are seriously keen to join in, please email me at bbbchrisp [at] yahoo.co.uk .
For more details, please visit the Oxford Wargames Society website:
http://www.oxfordwargamessociety.org.uk/bigbash.html

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info
BBB Blog: http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/

Leman

Really sorry I can't make this event as the menu looks mouthwatering to say the least.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Shedman

Quote from: Leman on 08 March 2019, 01:46:36 PM
Really sorry I can't make this event as the menu looks mouthwatering to say the least.

A shame - I remember your Shiloh game from 2017

We are going outside the BBB box this time with Germantown from the AWI in 15mm

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Chris Pringle

Thank you to those who have signed up already. There is still some room for more players, so if you are interested (and can tolerate a sub-par university in the vicinity - cheers, FK), do let us know.

Additional games in reserve depending on time, space and players available are:
Napoleon in Italy 1796 (operational-level game, 2mm);
1809 – Eckmuehl or Aspern-Essling

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/

Dave Fielder

Chris, checking diaries, it's the day after Exeter Legionary which is my local club's show (Exmouth Imperial Wargamers). I'm torn as I want to do both so some family negotiation will be occurring!
Romeo and Juliet is a Verona Crisis

Chris Pringle

Dave, I hope your family negotiations are successful. Haven't seen you in a while, and it would be great if you could make it to Bash Day. After all, it's not as if there's one every year. (Does that bolster your arguments?)

Chris

Dave Fielder

I taking a hit this weekend at the Exeter House and Garden show to earn credit for the Big Bash ... it'll be tough but worth it.

Chris Pringle

Quote from: Dave Fielder on 04 April 2019, 10:04:10 PM
I taking a hit this weekend at the Exeter House and Garden show to earn credit for the Big Bash ... it'll be tough but worth it.

Mind you don't get railroaded into buying any of those expensive 1:1 scale terrain items.

fsn

Quote from: Dave Fielder on 04 April 2019, 10:04:10 PM
I taking a hit this weekend at the Exeter House and Garden show to earn credit for the Big Bash … it'll be tough but worth it.
I used to attend the twice yearly "Happy Stampers" event in Port Sunlight. 1000 middle aged women crammed into the Hulme Hall. All elbows and over active gussets and steeley resolve. Apart from me there was the husband of one of the organisers, and the first aid man (who looked like Ronnie Barker).  No queue at the gents' though.

Anyway, I used to survive by trying to find something that could be useful in a wargames context. Never did find anything, but the hope kept me going. 

Though there was also the larger lady in the low cut top whose demonstration required a large amount of vigorous up and down shaking.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Dave Fielder

180mm scale buildings will be the main effort this weekend ... must resist and stick with 6mm and 10mm ...

Chris Pringle

The third Bloody Big Battles Bash Day was held in Oxford on Sunday 12 September. 30 players got together and played morning and afternoon games of the seven participation games on offer.

Let me pay tribute here to all the dedicated and creative gamemasters who laid on such beautiful and enjoyable games. In chronological order by battle:

Bruce McCallum: Edgehill (1642), English Civil War

Haim Ben-Zion: Helsingborg (1710), Great Northern War

Rodge Williams & Alan Millicheap: Germantown (1777), American War of Independence

Dave Whaley: 2nd Battle of Komárom (1849), Hungarian War of Independence

Crispin Matson: Italian War (1859) – trio of Montebello, Palestro and Magenta

Simon Dunsterville: Gettysburg (1863), American Civil War

Anton van Dellen: Colenso (1899), Second Boer War

These gentlemen's efforts included creating custom terrain, designing scenarios, painting up armies specially, and above all, getting up unreasonably early on a Sunday morning to set up to entertain others. Huge thank yous and very well done.

Some photos of a couple of the games here:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP_UpUE178JZ7XVhpr9SvS-AeyMq5XBq5mV0CMvVeUDyZAH-6JZl_yBEgzhwiWoYg?key=alRtM3NJU2Z6UDl4OG9laG03YXdEdTRISU02X3NR

Thank you also to those who helped out with logistical support in various ways, setting up tables, collecting entrance fees, washing up etc, lending troops, having reserve games ready in case of dropouts, and general encouragement and moral support.

Last but not least, thank you to the players. Thank you all for coming to Bash Day and participating in such good spirit.

To those who wanted to be there but couldn't for various reasons: sorry you couldn't make it, we missed you, and hope you can get to the next one.

It was a bonus that we were so efficient this year that almost all the games were done by 4:30 p.m., enabling a very convivial reorg and replen phase in the Plough.

It was a great day and could hardly have gone better. We had a wonderful variety of games (over 250 years of history) and scales (2mm, 6mm, 10mm and 15mm all on display). We had pretty much ideal ratios of players to games, so by and large everyone got two or even three games in and had a fair share of battle, no players sidelined and no GMs sitting forlorn and neglected. People mixed and mingled, made new friends and got new ideas. Above all, we all achieved the #1 victory condition, to have fun.

Therefore, my final thank you is to all those who nudged and chivvied me for the last year or so and finally prompted me to run Bash Day III. As I write this on a tide of caffeine, sleep deprivation and general euphoria, I can say with some confidence that we will want to repeat it and run Bash Day IV in 2020. Comments welcome as to what features to keep, and what to change and improve, etc.

Until then: Bash On!

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com

mmcv

Ithoriel

Quote from: Chris Pringle on 14 May 2019, 05:10:31 PM
The third Bloody Big Battles Bash Day was held in Oxford on Sunday 12 September.

Really? :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!