Help me build a Huns army from references from existing ranges.

Started by barbarian, 08 March 2019, 01:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbarian

I have an army of Late Romans mainly because I liked the sculpts.
I seldom play, but would like to find them opponents.

I use the Warmaster list tool here but plan on using Kings of War historical if I ever play.
Warmaster list : http://wm-selector.appspot.com/army_selector.html?list=hun&label=&print=sl,sru&0=1&1=1&2=1&3=1&4=1&5=1 The go on print to see the stats.
Kings of war historical list here : http://kowh.easyarmy.com/ Select Huns in the menu.

I'd like help to constitute a list of proxies or light conversions to make a proper Huns army.

List entries :

• Germans :
    I have the early saxons in the Late roman range :

Round shields, beards, good enough for me. And I have already painted them as Roman allies but could use them as opponents. I guess.

• Archers :
    Could I use the mongols archers on foot ?

The TB line Eastern europe peasants archers ?

Some Picts archers ? (to represent germans allies ?)

I found the Cartaginians have bearded archers too :

• Skirmishers :
    Need some help with these
  • Huns :
    Light armour cav and range attacks : Use the Mongols range ?
    A mix of the various references. Should they use lances ?

• Nobles :
    Medium armour cav + range : use the mongol range ?
    Is there a reference that is not "historical" ? I mean, maybe not using the heavy cav ?
    Tb line Eastern light cav ?

• Various command : Help ?? People in Roman attire ? Mongols ?

Am i completely out of track with how I imagine the Huns ?
Anybody with knowledge ?
2015 Painting Competition - Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

They must certainly have used an awful lot of captured equipment.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

barbarian

Forgot the Ally cav as entry : They have no ranged attack in the Warmaster list.

I guess any Cav with round shields should do...
even Gallic maybe.

fred.

Mixing the the Mongol cavalry with the other two ranges won't work size wise. The Mongol's are on very small horses.

The TB Cav might be a bit big compared with the  Pendraken cav.

I don't know the look of the Huns well enough to comment on the figures you have picked, but looking at the ones you have done, would your own light cav and infantry from the Evil Men range work?
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

barbarian

Techno

Forbes (fred) is definitely right about the TB cavalry being larger/taller than 'normal' Pendraken cavalry.

By that, I mean......The horses are definitely a tad taller, though I seem to remember the 'human' figures themselves were very close to the rest of the historical ranges, that PD produce.

(I've just checked with some of the spare TB horse dollies that Leon sent down a few months ago.)

Cheers - Phil

fred.

Quote from: barbarian on 08 March 2019, 06:42:24 PM
I am an idiot.

;D

Yes.

;) ;D

Regarding foot figures, I think Mongols, TB Line and Pendraken historical are all pretty similar in height and build so work well together. Its definitely the horses that are very different.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Ithoriel

For me the best figures for 10mm German allies of the Huns are Copplestone's "No sir, not Riders of Rohan, no sirree!" from his Fantasy range.

They might do as Hun nobles too if you added a bowcase.

For Hun light cavalry, if it were me, I'd use P3 Polish horse archer from the Rennaissance 16th Century Polish with some OT7 Tartar auxiliaries cavalry bow/sabre mixed in. Snipping off the tail of the swordsman's hat to make it more Hunnic!

YMMV :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

barbarian

The idea is buying Pendraken. (I should say spend my vouncher)
But I like the Copplestone range. (never seen it in the " flesh ", only photos)

I like the Polish and Tartar miniatures, good find !
I must confess I am looking for an excuse to own TB lines miniatures too, I remember playing with an army of Fabio some years ago in Rome (I think Mameluks against Crusaders, there were definitely some camels in there).
And another excuse to own some mongols too.

;)

barbarian

I am going to post the most wargamer thing ever :

I found in my little squirrel stash a whole lot of MM Late Saxons and Vikings. Plus some more Pendraken vikings that I painted as Lord of the Rings Dulendings.
I can make these work I feel as Early franks and Germanic tribes : I just won't use the ones with kite shileds and keep the ones with round ones.
So I think I am good for the German allies.