Big Trouble in Model Britain

Started by Orcs, 06 March 2019, 11:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have you reached the point where you are "SABLE"  Stuff Aquired Beyond Life Expectancy

No I Only buy what I can paint in a few months ( Like we will, believe this answer)
5 (11.9%)
My painting pile will take me less than 3 years to complete
8 (19%)
I might finish mypinting pile in the next decade
14 (33.3%)
As wargamers don't die till they have no unpainted figures I will live to 150+
7 (16.7%)
I havev reached the point that I am probably SABLE but will still be buying figures Etc
6 (14.3%)
I am SABLE and do not intend buying any more figures . (this is even less believable than option 1)
2 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Voting closed: 16 March 2019, 11:35:54 PM

Orcs

I have just watched the first of this two part series about the woes of Hornby/airfix and modeller's in general.

Its quite informative with a few funny lines, but one expression could certainly be applied to us as Wargamers.

On examining a modellers collection of 160 unbuilt kits the modeller says they have an expression in modelling  " Are you SABLE?" that is  "Stuff Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy"

I was going to ask who on the forum had reached this stage. then realised the shorter list would be who has not reached this stage.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

fsn

I responded that my painting pile would take less than 3 years to complete .... but I feel I need to add some caveats.

1) This is only true if I don't buy anything more
2) This also assumes life doesn't get in the way of painting
3) There is also an assumption that everything in the pile is going to (re)interest me in that timeframe.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

steve_holmes_11

I think I'm at the decade point - if fate spares me that long.

My difficulties are:
* I keep seeing new rules and thinking "I'd love to try that - if only I had the figures".
* Storage is close to maxed out, which has been the biggest brake on "Bonkers purchasing".

I am starting to contemplate legacy issues.
How best an appreciative home for my stuff when I'm gone.

There's a very similar (and in many ways more pressing) issue around digital assets - Email, social media, and passwords for all those online subscriptions that might otherwise run and run.
Perhaps we can learn form whatever solutions the digital folks develop.

Raider4

Quote from: fsn on 07 March 2019, 08:15:28 AM
1) This is only true if I don't buy anything more

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha . . .  /sobs

grahambeyrout

I could paint my lead mountain in less than 3 years, but I doubt if I will. Some of it goes back 40 years and I have lost interest in some of the periods - unless I regain the interest, or decide I can convert the figures to something I do need, oddments like a handful of 25mm Late Romans will remain unpainted.

fsn

Quote from: Raider4 on 07 March 2019, 09:50:11 AM
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha . . .  /sobs
Yes, it is an unlikely scenario.  :)
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Westmarcher

I tend to buy what I can paint in a few months ... except, in that time frame, I don't usually finish painting what I buy ..... but usually I get part of the way ..... and so there is a diminishment in stock which has to be topped up .... so I suppose I must actually have a rolling total of miniatures to paint ..... and everyone needs spares .... (don't they?) ...

....... I'm starting to think I placed my vote against the wrong option ....  :-[
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Leman

It is strange how interest can be reawakened. Had Alternative Armies not had a sale on allowing me to download both Furioso and the Italian Wars supplement for less than £15, and had I not then been intrigued by the game mechanisms and the space given to the Leonardo inventions, would I have reinvigorated my massive pile of 15mm Italian Wars stuff. There were two other huge influences as well, both of which I only came across about three weeks ago - Fat Wally's gallery of his Italian Wars figures on their Impetus bases, and the rediscovery of two figure lines I thought had long gone: Lancashire Games reissue of Venexia figures and Alternative Armies reissue of an old range now under the name of Altuos. I am looking at their Italian pikeman and thinking, now there's my second unit of Romandiole (not to mention their newish figures of Leonardo and his tank). In short, you never know what might be just around the corner.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

paulr

One of the few advantages of being so far from most manufacturers is that the long delivery times help with disciplined buying

Although the internet has reduced ordering times from weeks for your letter to arrive to milliseconds and couriers now deliver in weeks rather than the months it used to take for parcel post
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Leman on 07 March 2019, 11:11:29 AM
It is strange how interest can be reawakened. Had Alternative Armies not had a sale on allowing me to download both Furioso and the Italian Wars supplement for less than £15, and had I not then been intrigued by the game mechanisms and the space given to the Leonardo inventions, would I have reinvigorated my massive pile of 15mm Italian Wars stuff. There were two other huge influences as well, both of which I only came across about three weeks ago - Fat Wally's gallery of his Italian Wars figures on their Impetus bases, and the rediscovery of two figure lines I thought had long gone: Lancashire Games reissue of Venexia figures and Alternative Armies reissue of an old range now under the name of Altuos. I am looking at their Italian pikeman and thinking, now there's my second unit of Romandiole (not to mention their newish figures of Leonardo and his tank). In short, you never know what might be just around the corner.

That tank (together with their Japanese Yokai monsters)  launched me into my most recent gaming idea.
Dragon Rampant Rules, Historic armies from the Age of Discovery - ably supported by fantastic elements form their own beliefs and folklore.

And so the lead-pile grew again...

Last Hussar

I'm another "I could finish in 3 years, but only if I could be bothered"
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

sunjester

Quote from: Last Hussar on 10 March 2019, 10:23:01 AM
I'm another "I could finish in 3 years, but only if I could be bothered"

Same for me, so long as I don't get distracted by another new period during that time. That's only happened 4 times in the last 6 months so I might be in with a chance   :-  :o  :-q

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

petercooman

I have enough to keep me going for a ew years. think 4-5-6. So i have chosen the decade option.

My painting challenges the last two years have showed me that i can get it done much faster though! If i didn't work shifts, and had painting time every evening, i would manage in less then 3 years.

But, as i am subject to wargame shopping sprees now and then, i can't be sure if i will ever finish everything!

steve_holmes_11

This new-fangled Seven Years war business should see me live till at least 150.