Enlighten me. Why is the SYW superior to Napoleonics?

Started by fsn, 05 March 2019, 09:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Cook

Quote from: fsn on 12 March 2019, 09:58:45 PM
@Leman.

Ahh! Yeah, but no, but.

Granted that with the Naps as opposed to the SYW one has to make choices. An 1806 Prussian Army looks nothing like an 1815 one. That is true for so many periods though. In WWII each year has it's own character; WWI has at least three distinct phases; the ACW even takes on different aspects dependent upon year and theatre and don't get me started on "Romans".

My counterpoint would be that once you have made your choice - 1944 Normandy, 1914 Marne, 1862 West, SYW Eastern Theatre, 1813 Leipzig Campaign - then you focus on that distinct slice of the war? In this regard the SYW is no more manageable that the Naps. With the Naps there is just a bit more choice.

Spot on, in my view.  We might as well argue the 'superiority' of the Austro-Prussian War over the Franco-Prussian War, neither of which appeal to me in wargaming terms at all.  In the end these things are a personal and very subjective choice.

FierceKitty

Quote from: John Cook on 12 March 2019, 05:49:21 PM

What is an element?

Term oftentimes employed to designate a base, normally of many one, in Wordsworth's words.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

steve_holmes_11

Napoleonic costume changes, at the risk of making it sound like a Katy Perry concert..

I've witnessed significant changes in approach to the changing of the hats and waistcoats.

Back in the day when only one dress code was available.
Then a strict adherance to "It it's 1809 then the Austrians are all in shakos and no tin hats".
Now we accept that the roll out of coats, headgear and flags was a phased business (Some armies more organised than others), and it's likely that Borodino or Waterloo were fought by armies with a mixture of hats.

This latter approach is quite useful when a club bands together to provide figures for a big refight.

Ithoriel

Blue jacket, white trousers - French

Green jacket, white trousers - Russian

White Jacket, white trousers - Austrian

Red Jacket, white trousers - British

etc.

Hats are black.

That's pretty much my take on Napoleonic uniform.

Perhaps I need to move from 6mm to 3mm. Hard to tell a bicorne from a busby :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

John Cook

Quote from: FierceKitty on 13 March 2019, 03:31:59 AM
Term oftentimes employed to designate a base, normally of many one, in Wordsworth's words.

How does a wargame work with a single base on each side?  Really curious.

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Chad

fsn

Well there's nothing like considered argument ... and that's nothing like considered argument.

Let me recap. Fierce Kitty opined to a new member that Napoleonics were inferior to the SYW. I queried why.

What we've had are:

• 1 The SYW is more manageable - i.e. smaller is scale and scope
  • 2 SYW armies are simpler in composition than Nap armies
  • 3 SYW armies didn't change their uniforms as the Nap armies did
  • 4 Especially great generalship
  • 5 Music and poetry
  • 6 Difficulty in wargaming the Naps
  • 7 Tricorns

Responses seem to be

• 1 Agreed - but that doesn't make it superior, otherwise nobody would play WWII
  • 2 Agreed - though this may be seen as a drawback, 'cos there's not enough variety
  • 3 Agreed - but irrelevant. You rarely build armies for a complete war. My WWII forces are all from August 1944. My Naps are from June 1815. My WWII airforces are from June 1940. When doing the 100YW, I go Agincourt rather than Poitiers. If you're doing historical, you pick a bit of the war and go for that.
  • 4 Not agreed.
  • 5 Irrelevant
  • 6 Not agreed - There are lots of rule sets out there. If you're going to wargame Naps, find one you like or write your own
  • 7 Irrelevant - It's a taste issue. With 400 Normans on my table, I'm beginning to hate nose guards.

I would submit, Gentlemen, that the case of SYW superiority has, as superior Scottish law would have it, "not proven". You may prefer it, and that's fine. I prefer Napoleonics. That too, is fine.

I am quite happy to call the examination closed, and for the thread to be locked.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

Quote from: John Cook on 13 March 2019, 12:56:02 PM

How does a wargame work with a single base on each side?  Really curious.

1-3 I win. 4-6 you win.

Quick and easy, and I am sure everyone will agree there's more depth and subtlety to it than may be immediately apparent.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

barbarian

That's how my almost seven years old play : he makes a two big line of battles. Then pick one minis form each line, put them up in the middle, like a duel or a WWE match and says :
" You need a 6 to win ! "
When the six doesn't come, he proceeds to say :
" Oh well, it doesn't count, roll again. Yes ! You won anyway ! "

And makes all the duel till only one minis is left.
2015 Painting Competition - Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: barbarian on 14 March 2019, 11:27:04 AM
That's how my almost seven years old play : he makes a two big line of battles. Then pick one minis form each line, put them up in the middle, like a duel or a WWE match and says :

That's pretty much how the F.A. Cup is decided.

John Cook

Quote from: barbarian on 14 March 2019, 11:27:04 AM

Similar to how I used to play western gunfights with my son and his playmobile, when I was introducing him to wargaming.  That was 25 years ago.  He's come a long way since then. 

Last Hussar

I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

grahambeyrout

I have been following this thread with some interest (I should since I helped provoke it). I think what a lot of people overlook is the simple charm of playing with toy soldiers. For me, personally, the SYW recreates this feeling more than the Napoleonic period. If I wanted realism, SYW as played by Brigadier Peter Young and Charles Grant is the last set of rules I would turn to, but if I want to march regiments of 48 identical figures of the Lieb regiment of the mythical duchy of Keinrat- Eisenberg to the top of the hill and then down again again, they might be.