How many is enough

Started by grahambeyrout, 04 March 2019, 03:36:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grahambeyrout

I have just painted (badly) my 3000th 10mm Napoleonic, and with the Not-a-Kickstarter Germans on the way I will have 3500. I am beginning to feel I have enough for my needs. This thought struck me when I realized that the accumulation took little more than 2 years, and that 1600 were done in one. This staggered me somewhat since it took me 40 years to make up that number of 15mm SYW troops. I have never used more than 800 of these 15mm or the 10mm Naps at one time . So how many Naps is enough?.

Ithoriel

I feel that if I can field a larger force at 1:1 scale than the original army could it's probably time to st ... start looking at the things they planned but never managed to get into action.

Must paint up my two 10mm "Maus" sometime soon :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Last Hussar

Always 1 order more than you have.
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

fsn

You say 3000, but the kickstarter indiucates that you have more than one army.

Also, you blithely say "Napoleonics", as if it were a heterogeneous subject. Surely, if you have an Prussian army of 1806, then you are lacking the glorious Prussian army of 1813!

Therefore, I would suggest that unless you have everything up to the Neapolitans at Tolentino, then there is room for more.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

I am much puzzled why you seem to have demoted yourself to Napoleonics from SYW.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Leman

Sometimes enough is enough. I want to make a base to show a camp being looted. I looked around in one of my boxes of unpainted persons and found four men carrying boxes and sacks, some women, a spare gunner with open arms, a wounded man leaning to one side and several barrels and boxes. The wounded man is now dragging a box, a man reaching for a sack is now also dragging a box whilst his lady friend looks on appreciatively and the gunner with open arms is now taking the lid off the barrel to see what's inside. All from figures bought at least 15 years ago.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Orcs

Quote from: Ithoriel on 04 March 2019, 04:31:19 PM
I feel that if I can field a larger force at 1:1 scale than the original army could it's probably time to st ... start looking at the things they planned but never managed to get into action.

Quote from: fsn on 04 March 2019, 04:56:03 PM
You say 3000, but the kickstarter indiucates that you have more than one army.

Also, you blithely say "Napoleonics", as if it were a heterogeneous subject. Surely, if you have an Prussian army of 1806, then you are lacking the glorious Prussian army of 1813!

Therefore, I would suggest that unless you have everything up to the Neapolitans at Tolentino, then there is room for more.

I believe both of the above answers are correct.

However I am not sure this is the right forum to ask this question on, particularly as most all of those here are addicts.

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

grahambeyrout

Quote from: FierceKitty on 04 March 2019, 05:09:15 PM
I am much puzzled why you seem to have demoted yourself to Napoleonics from SYW.

Simply, I could not justify to myself having the same army in two fairly close scales. I agree that Napoleonics (and since I have been told off for not being more specific), of the 1809 campaigns is a step down from the SYW and the ever glorious, if small army of Princess Radagund of Keinrat-Hallesbusten-Eisenberg. Napoleonics however were my first army, I ever had (in 25mm) and I was feeling nostalgic. Otherwise I might have chosen another period, say ECW or Samurai (I await the new range with some trepidation - I might yet succumb).

Finally, since I feel mischievous, I might commit blasphemy and suggest that  I could, at a pinch field my eagerly awaited 1809 Saxons as SYW if desired (light blue touch-paper and duck for cover)   

fsn

Quote from: FierceKitty on 04 March 2019, 05:09:15 PM
Quote from: grahambeyrout on 04 March 2019, 06:26:09 PM
I agree that Napoleonics ... is a step down from the SYW
On that gentlemen, we must disagree. I would opine that the age of Napoleon is looked down upon because of its popularity. However, it has a variety, a scale and a whole bunch of innovations not available to the earlier war.  I am not going to argue that the 7YW is less interesting that the Napoleonic Wars, but the later conflict is in no way inferior.

They are just different.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

Oh yes it is! Where's widow Twankey? Incidentally Pendraken had a massive SYW line long before anything similar appeared for the Napoleonics.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

rct75001

For Napoleonics you need enough to do Borodino then Leipzig - that is after you have done Austerlitz
And she said "You haven't bought more of those little men have you?"

https://rctlittlesoldiers.blogspot.com.au

paulr

We've done Borodino and Austerlitz :) :)
Both in 6mm :-[
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

Just to rub in a little salt - I was at Austerlitz for the 200th anniversary.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Ithoriel

Quote from: FierceKitty on 05 March 2019, 08:30:06 AM
Just to rub in a little salt - I was at Austerlitz for the 200th anniversary.

I'd have been more impressed but for those last four words :D :D :D
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data