Encourage les autres

Started by jimduncanuk, 21 February 2019, 10:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimduncanuk

I have a gaming friend who thinks I am a wonderful painter.

I am NOT a wonderful painter.

Everyone who thinks they can't paint for peanuts should give it a go.

Here's some help.

http://jim-duncan.blogspot.com/2019/02/just-for-you-bob.html

My Ego forbids a signature.

paulr

A very creditable 'toy soldier' style paint job, as intended

:-bd =D> :-bd
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

Looking good, as ever, Jim. They look even better "en masse."
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

jambo1

They come out lovely! Nice tutorial. :)

Steve J

Techno

Nice one, Jim.  :)

Cheers - Phil

Westmarcher

Point taken, Jim. We I spend far too much time trying to paint a miniature masterpiece (and failing) instead of keeping it simple and getting figures on the table. We I know too well that no-one will see the detail at 3 - 4 feet away, but we are I am still compelled (obsessed?) to get every cross belt straight, every water bottle painted, etc. And, because we I spend so much time doing this, how many other periods to war-game in are we am I missing out on as a result?

The line of Austrians in the last photograph on your blog is a perfect example of what everyone should be aiming for if tabletop gaming is your primary motivation within this hobby.   =D>

p.s. Don't bother entering these in this year's painting competition. Who knows what forces you may unleash?
(thinking of Brexit, Boaty McBoatface, etc.!)
  :P
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Leman

Also appreciate the point. So glad I bought the Osprey on Landsknechts before I actually painted any. Most landsknechts apparently only had two colours in their clothing, or even one colour slashed with white.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Terry37

I have always gone with the philosophy regarding painting figures that everyone should give it a go. I also suspect that everyone who does also gives it their best effort. To me that makes for a superb paint job. I constantly encourage people to NEVER  compare their work to that of somebody else. No matter how good you think some other painter might be - there will always be some one better. But that's also a fluid thing. With all of that said, I know people who just do not take any pleasure in painting, but prefer to get the figures done so they can game. That is also absolutely excellent. In my college days I painted figures for other people to fund my figure purchases. I realized then that I was more a painter than a gamer. Now in my advanced years in the hobby, and being retired, I get to do both, with only a slight leaning toward the  modeling and painting part.

To net this all out - Do your best, and if you are pleased with the results, then it is without question a First Class figure!

Terry

PS - I would also always rather game an army I painted, but admit to having had some figures painted for me or bought an army to be able to get hte game afoot!!!
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Leman

I have actually bought two armies painted by someone else to stop them leaving the club.

fsn

Quote from: Terry37 on 22 February 2019, 04:03:11 PM
I constantly encourage people to NEVER  compare their work to that of somebody else.
100% with you on that one. I think one should find their own style. I'm still not happy with my horse & musket style, but I'm happy with everything before and after that. It took me quite a while before I settled down, and tried a number of different styles before I found one that is for me a balance between utility and aesthetic.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

SV52

So are painting competitions a help or a hindrance in this respect?  Don't know, just askin'.  8)
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

jimduncanuk

Quote from: SV52 on 22 February 2019, 08:13:33 PM
So are painting competitions a help or a hindrance in this respect?  Don't know, just askin'.  8)

I don't know for sure, it's years since I entered one.

I did get fed up with so many trophies lying about.

The style of painting represented above is not designed to win painting competitions. It is intended to help those who need a little push to get them started. I think it has met its desired aim.
My Ego forbids a signature.

Leman

I'm right off painting competitions because in order to do well I would have to spend an inordinate amount of time painting, shading, correcting, repainting etc, when I could have completed three or four perfectly acceptable tabletop units in the same time. Like most aspects of competitive endeavours, if you have the natural talent you will be rewarded. If not, just ignore it and move on. I for one don't have a steady hand so there are always going to be some painting misalignments on my figures, but they keep me happy. Only once has someone actually said to my face (at a Phalanx show) that they thought my painting was rubbish. I referred back to the work of the master of wit and repartee with a hearty "F**k off!"

Sean Clark

Great response Leman. I find this a tad shocking that someone would actually say another wargamers figures were rubbish. But maybe that's just my sensibilities.

I'm with the crowd on this one. Having just started a 10mm WW2 project, I painted a sample figure very much as I would paint a 28mm figure, trying to get every detail right on the early war German infantry mans kit and then highlighting. Very nice. But put the figure on the table and all of that effort is wasted. All I can see (maybe my eyes...) is the colour of the figures arms and the helmet. The rest just sort of blends together. This is true for anything upto 28mm in reality. Even in 28mm, some of that effort is lost.

I think you have to make the distinction between painter and gamer. IF painting is your main pleasure - do it! Paint every detail and enter a competition like the excellent Pendraken annual event. There are some stunning examples of what can be achieved.

If gaming is your main motivation and pleasure, then Jim's example is a lesson to us all. Put the main colours in the right place (a bit like painting by numbers...) and get them on the table. Don't fuss about what shade of brown to paint a backpack or whether you have gone over the lines of a strap. Get them on the table and play.

For me I am moving far more towards Jim's style. I'm not saying that come the next forum painting competition that I wont have a bash at an entry or too, but 99% of my figures will now be ainted using the minimal amount of timepossible to get them where they belong. Amongst the dice and lichen of he miniature battlefield.
God's Own Scale podcast
https://godsownscale6mm.podbean.com/