Historical Scenario Creation

Started by Stratoq, 20 February 2019, 05:16:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stratoq

While I have played numerous games of BKC, I have never played a game based on an historical action. Recently I've been interested in creating a few historical scenarios. I have done this for other games but wondered if anyone had any tips specific to BKC?
Thanks!

Fenton

I always use 1 stand = 1 platoon which matches a lot of games so I presume the methods you've used before would work just as well as  for other games
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Stratoq

Yes I had planned on doing the same. One thing I've noticed is there is a lot less armour in the battles I've thought about doing (although they mostly involve British Paras so would be expected) compared a 'generic' game of Blitzkrieg Commander.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Stratoq on 21 February 2019, 11:00:06 AM
Yes I had planned on doing the same. One thing I've noticed is there is a lot less armour in the battles I've thought about doing (although they mostly involve British Paras so would be expected) compared a 'generic' game of Blitzkrieg Commander.

That's frequently the way.
We gamers looove those tanks and pile them up well above their regular proportions.
In most battalion or brigade size fights the attacker would bring his armour, and try to target an area where the defender had little of it.

Battles that were primarily Tank Vs Tank were suce an exception that we can probably name them all.

That's why I find the recent plethora of tank only wargames rather puzzling.
But each to their own, the main thing is to have fun.

Steve J

The Western Desert of Russia gives plently of options for tank battles with some infantry support.

As for historical actions, one stand equates to an infantry platoon, one tank a troop etc which in my experience makes it relatively easy to recreate an action for BKC. Sometimes you have to tweak things a bit to make for an interesting game for both sides, which largely comes down to experience IMHO. It doesn't always work but it's fun trying!

paulr

Getting the right victory conditions is often the key with historical scenarios
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Shedman

John Cook

Not sure about specific tips.  The thing I like about BKC is that you can 'fettle' it to represent any ratio of figures to units that you like, within reason.  I use BKC at 1:1 and recently fought a 1940 scenario with elements of a Dutch company defending a canal, loosely based on the Grebbe Line, against a German reinforced kradschutzen company.  No armour at all.  Some off-table artillery and Stukas.  The Dutch would always lose in the end but in order to win the game they had to hold the canal line for a set number of turns.

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Ithoriel

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Stratoq

Quote from: Shedman on 21 February 2019, 07:05:34 PM
Have you had a look at the scenarios over on blitzkrieg-commander.com http://www.blitzkrieg-commander.com/Content/Downloads/default.aspx

I have a long time ago, completely forgot to look here. Thanks!

In terms of scale I have generally played as 1 unit = 1 platoon but would be interested in playing at a smaller scale.

steve_holmes_11

williamb

Test of Battle Games has a lot of scenario books at BKC's scale.

Itinerant Hobbyist

I'm actually painting my first Pendraken army up to replay a ToB Market Garden Scenario. The thing with ToB scenarios, they are quite large.