Of Armies and Hordes

Started by GrumpyOldMan, 20 February 2019, 01:05:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrumpyOldMan

Hello

Has anybody had an in-depth look at the new rules from the Ganesha Games stable, Of Armies and Hordes, linked to Song of Blades and Heroes?

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

fred.

I have bought the rules - only had a quick read so far. There are certainly some interesting ideas. I might try a play through tonight.

There is a good thread on LAF
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Fenton

It sounds interesting and seems to be a bit  like Crossfire with the movement by terrain idea. I might get these but after reading through the LAF a lot of people seem confused or maybe it's only people who are confused are posting and everyone else is not having any problems
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

fred.

I think some of the confusion is that there are a lot of different ideas within the rules, and these take a while to understand - plus I think people only have the PDF at the minute, and I know its harder to take info in from a PDF than a printed set of the rules.

I tried a quick solo game last night. Discovered you get a lot of terrain areas even on a 4'x4' board with 10mm figures!

I used hedges to delimit most of the terrain areas - the very open looking areas are actually hills. To me this looks much like any other wargames table - the areas feel pretty natural.

The activation is very good, allowing reactions and unexpected turn ends.
Combat is brutal - perhaps too brutal, but I suppose it keeps the game moving. I haven't worked out the best way to use missile troops or flyers (but I only played a few turns)
Some rules seem rather geared towards 28mm - Cavalry having 2 wounds and 2 attacks feels like it is to do with 28mm cavalry models having such a big foot print. Likewise the chariot rules.  These can be tweaked easily enough.
The terrain rules are good, and really interact with the special rules and magic. It feels much more integrated than many rules.

It has the SoBH problem of a very simple stat line (which is good) but then loads of special rules, some of which I think would be better as stats.

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

GrumpyOldMan

Hello All

Thanks for the information. Anybody compared it to TtS yet?

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

fred.

Having had a bit of a play of both - there doesn't feel much similarity, beyond the area movement.

TtS combat requires a few high numbers to cause hits, which have a chance of being saved. OAAH lots of dice rolled in combat, requiring low to average scores to kill.
OAAH has the fantasy elements very much integrated, TtS is very much real world
OAAH activation (with  reactions and turn ends) feels very different to TtS. Even with multiple actions in OAAH movement is generally only 1 area, whereas in TtS you can move greater distances.
Shooting is very different between the two

Quote from: Womble67 on 21 February 2019, 09:30:09 PM
Nice setup fred
Thanks Andy!

sunjester

A very nice looking game. I've just picked up a copy of the rules to look at, we have been looking for a set of rules that handles big (BIG) fantasy armies for some time.