What parts of the hobby do you enjoy least?

Started by FierceKitty, 19 February 2019, 04:35:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

*   opponents who won't read the rules, and then get the sulks when they lose
*   waiting for a parcel of shinies to cover intercontinental distances
*   sleepless nights while a project is on the workbench and I'm too tired to paint any more
*   dice with a three in four probability of rolling a 1 in a crisis
*   trying to understand what my brother-gamers are trying to say in their posts
*   Sengoku games with four samurai, one ashigaru, a geisha, and a cherry tree pretending to be a military force

BUT I'm sure others have their own lists.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Steve J

- Painting horses, especially their tack.
- Those die rolls that at critical times in the game when you are in a position to cause pain and misery to your opponents troops, always come up ones.
- Too competitive players that spoil a game.
- Badly written or thought out rulesets that promised oh so much.
- Packing away after a game.

FierceKitty

fsn

19 February 2019, 08:11:17 AM #3 Last Edit: 19 February 2019, 08:13:17 AM by fsn

• Painting horses
  • Packing away after a game
  • Painting un-uniformed troops. Though to be fair, I've got a bit of a system now
  • "Oh you've got Sherman III's/Stovepipe shakos/lorica segmentata but obviously on that Tuesday afternoon it was Sherman V's/Belgic Shakos/lorica hamata"
  • Figure ranges that have almost everything you neeeeed. Speaking of which, any chance of a SMG for the Korean British, Leon?
  • Stuff on that table that shouldn't be - rule sets, tape measures, coffee cups, that King Tiger. Table tidiness, please.
  • Articles in hobby mags that only give "game stats" for particular rule sets.
  • Endless hand wringing about base sizes
  • *Hobby Horse* Bases with normally unmoving items attached - trees, walls, fences, A9 tanks
  • *Hobby Horse* Kneeling and prone figures anytime, but especially pre 1900.
  • *Hobby Horse* Light infantry pre 1900 being only available in firing positions
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

Tbh there's only one 'thing' that ruins the hobby - overly competitive players who seem to imagine that there its an Olympic medal beckoning if they can mangle the rules to their advantage.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

sunjester

Playing with d***heads.
Having to paint my toys before i can play with them.

To be fair I have an answer to the first one, I don't play those people ever again!

Norm

None really, I like it all. I'm not keen on painting kneeling troops ... is that enough to that count? ... Oh and gamey play.

mollinary

Answering endless polls on what you like and dislike!  ;)  ;D  ;D
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

Quote from: mollinary on 19 February 2019, 10:15:21 AM
Answering endless polls on what you like and dislike!  ;)  ;D  ;D

Good point. What dweeble-brained wally started this one?

Ben Waterhouse

Arma Pacis Fulcra

Matt J

Despite owning mountains of models, hours (days, months, years!) of painting, numerous rulesets purchased and read, I have never, ever played an historical wargame...

(makes me a bit sad really  :()
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

mmcv

Quote from: Matt J on 19 February 2019, 11:07:30 AM
Despite owning mountains of models, hours (days, months, years!) of painting, numerous rulesets purchased and read, I have never, ever played an historical wargame...

(makes me a bit sad really  :()

How come?

Nick the Lemming

Quote from: Leman on 19 February 2019, 08:33:11 AM
Tbh there's only one 'thing' that ruins the hobby - overly competitive players who seem to imagine that there its an Olympic medal beckoning if they can mangle the rules to their advantage.

I wouldn't say it's the only thing, but it is probably the worst thing.

I'd also add the preponderance of 28mm figures, and the emphasis on skirmish games (because everything is expected to be 28mm).

Matt J

[quoteQuote from: Matt J on Today at 11:07:30 AM

(makes me a bit sad really  Sad)

How come?][/quote]

Don't know really, it just has never happened, geography doesn't help - living in rural Shropshire, don't think there are any clubs anywhere near, and haven't got it in me to go solo.
Play GW board games with my brother now and again but that about it.
Got boxes of lovely painted stuff that once finished are packed away and have never seen the light of day again.

2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Chad

Rules that are advertised as covering a period that I am interested in that are nothing of the sort and whose designer notes show that they have done insufficient research. 😫😠😡

Rant over. Anyone interested in a set of Field of Glory v2? Never used and never will be